Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hyloba

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2014
Ever since I've downloaded messenger, it keeps on draining my iphone battery. First I switched off background refresh, then I switched off notifications, making it nearly useless. Now, with everything turned off and it being basically unable to do anything unless I press the app, it still drains battery! Over the last 24 hours, it has 2hrs of background activity, and I haven't even used it!

What else is there left to do than to remove it? In our region basically all text communication is done with facebook.

EdwardSmith36

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2016
Even I felt that, I though to uninstall it but I really use it every now and then. Is there any app that keeps my battery lasts for long time?

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Known problem, all over the globe :) ....nothing you can do at the moment, unfortunately...developers need to do something about it....I consider myself lucky....I don't use FB.....the worst evil ever...but, again, it's just me :)

DaveTheRave

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Maybe double click the home button, then swipe up on the app to kill it. Then make sure it's not allowed to access location services in settings.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What's wrong with FaceTime? iMessage?
Not everyone uses an Apple device (and not everyone uses their mobile device all the time or wants to be in sync with all conversations no matter what device they are on)?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No love for Kik? Whatsapp?
Not everyone is on those. Quite a bit depends on what those you talk to are using. For some Facebook ends up working best as more of their friends are on it and use it on different devices throughout the day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.