Facebook Messenger Redesign Makes it Easier to Navigate, Find Online Friends, and Play Games

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 18, 2017.

1. lifeisepic macrumors 6502

lifeisepic

Your battery will thank you.

2. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Are people considered "online" anymore in this mobile world?

The world has changed from the days of AOL Instant Messenger when being "online" meant you were physically sitting in front of your desktop computer.

Now you just send someone a message and the thing in their pocket will vibrate wherever they are. :)

There is no "online" or "offline" in the smartphone world.

3. UL2RA Suspended

Yeah, I bet.

4. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Adding more buttons is the opposite of making things simpler.

5. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

I also deleted the Facebook and Messenger apps as they were using too much of my precious 16GB. Plus they pushed uncommented updates way too often.

It's not the neatest solution I'm sure, but my workaround is to create a home-screen bookmark to "touch.facebook.com" and then click the share icon and "Request Desktop Site" which I've placed as the first option in the scrolling list that pops up. Messages can then be read/sent as needed.

6. sudo1996 Suspended

sudo1996

Looks like we need Facebook Messenger Messenger, which would be like what Facebook Messenger is to Facebook.

7. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

Now if they only stopped trying to harvest my contacts.

8. calisurfboy macrumors regular

calisurfboy

Itunes, which needs to be seperated into different apps, still is one unified cluster. Facebook, which should be one singular app, is a collection of seperate apps filled with crap.

I remember switching from Myspace and Friendster and thought Facebook was amazing. Now they automatically filter comments and posts so you miss half the things being said and posted with no option to turn this off. Your messages are all divided up so you miss information. The feed use to be useful with photos and information but now are an endles stream of videos where people take a 15 second clip of a well known movie and write words in it to describe their life.

Can't wait for California to have and earthquake and swallow up Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook HQ>

9. C DM, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017

C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

10. ignatius345 macrumors 68020

It's pretty well hidden, but there's an option to view your feed in chronological order. I think it may still filter stuff, but worth a try.

11. Ternary macrumors regular

12. dkh587 macrumors regular

Wow, thank you. I've been wanting to delete the Messenger app for so long. This might not be as simple as the Messenger app, but I don't want Facebook apps on my phone.

13. kaloangel macrumors newbie

kaloangel

It's been obvious for a very long while that facebook is trying very hard to add more and more features to try and keep users hooked to their service and messenger, and took seem like you need to use messenger to stay relevant to the times, but as I'm seeing it they're bloating the apps so much that they've become a complete mess for normal people who just want to message each other and not play games, keep a photo journal, organize group chats, put a sticker on everything... and as a result this whole effort is backfiring and even more people are leaving facebook than before.

I left in 2014 and I have no clue why people are still using it, how can a person maintain their sanity and keep up with everything? It's like if you stop using facebook you will become an antisocial caveman. I haven't lost any contact with anyone, I still talk to people.. no one has told me "well I'm not going to talk to you because you don't have a facebook account" people just add you on whatever else you use..

14. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Just like TV or books or anything else really, there's no way to keep up with everything, but most do just fine with using it to the degree that suits them.

15. KAZphoto macrumors member

KAZphoto

They just really need to change the UI so that when you swipe down it doesn't open up the camera app. That is he single most annoying thing I have experienced in quite some time.

16. Illumiiinati macrumors member

Illumiiinati

I deleted Facebook around an year ago. Really this Facebook messenger was so much annoyance, useless smileys and gif