Facebook mobile app stats shocker: 104 million iPhone users, 12 million Android users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrathee, Aug 25, 2010.

1. mrathee macrumors 6502

Facebook's recently begun displaying user stats for its mobile apps for several platforms, and the numbers are downright overwhelming. The iPhone takes the largest slice of the cake with (at the time of writing) over 104 million active monthly users, with BlackBerry users at nearly 60 million, and just over 12 million using the Android client. So what can we take away from these numbers? Well, at last count, Facebook has over 500 million users, so a pretty sizable chunk of them are using mobile apps. Interestingly, the last reported number of iOS users was 100 million; that's the number announced at WWDC, just back in July -- but Facebook lists more than that amount of active monthly users, so we're not sure how these numbers are being calculated. We've reached out to our contacts at Facebook and will update if we get a clearer picture of where the stats are coming from. ​

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/25/facebook-mobile-app-stats-shocker-104-million-iphone-users-12/

-----

EDIT

"There are currently 44 million monthly active users of the Facebook for iPhone app. We recently changed the definition of mobile active users to exclude those who have only liked or commented on stream stories. Instead we are counting "active" users as people who have taken explicit actions within an application. This practice is more aligned with how we count overall active users for the site."

So yeah, not 104 million, but that revised number is still a significant proportion of all iPhones (59M iPhones as of last quarter by our calculations) and iPod touch devices (Apple doesn't break these numbers out) to have ever sold, let alone currently in use globally. Any wonder why Google and Foursquare are worried? ​

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/26/facebook-actually-there-are-44-million-active-monthly-users-of/

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Shouldn't it be 104million iOS users?

I don't know if Apple have even sold that many phones yet.

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

That's why some people are doubting these figures.

Even if everyone with an iPhone (presumably iPod touch and iPad are included too) uses Facebook on a monthly basis - which I doubt, these figures are still a little off.

4. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

your right, if someone uses the ipod touch or ipad facebook app facebook recognizes it as iphone. my friend uses her ipod touch for fb. she doesnt have an iphone but all her status updates says uploaded via facebook for iphone. so these numbers can be correct if you add all the iphones, ipod touches and ipads together.

5. 184550 Guest

If we take this figure as a rough guesstiment, just over 51 million iPhones since 2007.

Meaning that 53 million people are accessing Facebook from their iPod touch or iPad. (Assuming all iPhones sold are still in active use and have the FB app.)

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Still, not really.

Back in June they were almost at 100 million iPhones, iPod touches and iPads combined.

They have done very well since then, but I doubt that every single user of those devices uses Facebook at least once a month,

7. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i know, i meant if you add all the numbers together, but that would mean that everyone uses fb which s unlikely. but that number i bet is pretty close.

8. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

a few of my friends signed up for facebook BECAUSE they bought android phones. My one buddy told me that his droid constantly prompted him to sign up and he caved.

9. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

The Facebook App is separate from any integration that a phone provides.

10. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

yeah I would assume so. I used a droid exactly one time so I wouldn't know for sure.

11. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Apparently iPhone users have more friends than Android users.

12. The LPT macrumors regular

actually just more people they have sex with. ;)

13. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Nice, favorite part of comedy to me is "call backs", this was a good one friend!