Facebook not accepting these pics (others OK)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cheeryble, Aug 12, 2009.

1. cheeryble macrumors regular

Failed to upload photos.

File baby John .pict: This error occurred because either the photo was a size we don't support or there was a problem with the image file.
    File longhair.pict: This error occurred because either the photo was a size we don't support or there was a problem with the image file.
    File hair.pict: This error occurred because either the photo was a size we don't support or there was a problem with the image file.
    File house sitroom.jpg: This error occurred because we're having trouble storing your photos at the moment. Please try again in a few minutes.
    File house sitroom front.pict: This error occurred because either the photo was a size we don't support or there was a problem with the image file.

The first three are old photos originally scanned, about 250 to 350kb.
    Not sure what .pict means

Can anyone help please?

thanx Cheeryble

2. Adamosaur macrumors newbie

Are you using Safari?

I've gotten errors with facebook as well occasionally. Assuming they are not errors from a past log in (or problem with cookies), I would say to try to use Firefox, or clear cookies and start with a clean slate (or just clear all of the facebook cookies).

What file format are the pictures in? jpg, png, tiff, gif?

3. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

Hi Adam

I think I was using my normal Firefox.

I haven't gone into clearing caches etc yet as I was wondering about the photo format.
    You ask was it jpg, gif etc well when I highlight the photo in iPhoto and click control "i" for information it just gives ".pict" for example "longhair.pict"
    As I say I think I originally scanned them from hard photos some years ago.

Hmmm.......should we find the format first?

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

If I remember correctly, .pict isn't supported by Facebook.

Try converting it to JPG. Export your photos from iPhoto (File > Export ?) to achieve this.

5. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

The problem you had with the jpg might have just been an issue with FB's servers. They are crazy buggy, especially chat.

6. Adamosaur macrumors newbie

Yea I'm not an avid user of iPhoto, so not sure about the default formatting. If the exporting from iPhoto (stated in above posts) doesn't work then you can drag the photo(s) to your desktop and then open them in the application "preview". From here you can file > "save as" then select any file type (jpg is probably the best, but if the files are too large or there is still a problem with the fb uploading, you can try png (though that makes any white color transparent), or bmp, though jpg should work.

Oh you can also press command I when the file is selected on the desktop to see the extension.

Edit:

I just tried opening/exporting from iPhoto and iPhoto does not convert dragged images to the stated format (I have pngs, jpgs, etc listed there) so the format is just within the file, not due to iPhoto.
    I also tried exporting (file>export) the images and it does work, you can change the format to jpg or anything. So hope this works out with facebook :)

7. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular

8. cheeryble thread starter macrumors regular