Facebook Places coming to the iPhone app tonight

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by drewc1138, Aug 18, 2010.

1. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

From here:

Thoughts? Anyone seen it show up in their updates yet?

2. Sustainability macrumors regular

Nothing updated yet.

It doesn't really matter to me since I will still use Foursquare for all my checking-in urges, which don't occur that frequently in the first place.

3. sharp65 macrumors 6502

I went into the app store and was able to reinstall an updated version of the facebook app over the my current one. Now places is showing up, although it says this feature will be available soon in your region.

4. poose22 macrumors member

They also fixed where the app will now reload everytime it's opened....at least for iphone 4 users.

also changed the refresh button to where you only have to pull down on the page. just like the official twitter for iphone app

im liking this update a lot. fixed a bunch of issues i didnt like lately.

5. drewc1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

Timeline is a little different too...you can see where people have posted from.

Did anyone else have problems before where it would just not show some updates? I'm hoping they fixed that too.

6. skylrr5 macrumors newbie

i like that better too, it's cool

7. steeez macrumors member

Is anyone else not able to login? =/

Reinstalled, restarted, etc... Still not working.

8. QwikEVO macrumors newbie

yep. mine is the same way since updating.
    :mad:

9. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

10. jcia macrumors member

Not working

Mine is not working either.

I am not able to login, it keeps giving me an error, I've tried on different WiFi networks and over 3G as well with no luck, I am located in Germany if that makes a difference. Has anyone found the problem with logging in?

Thanks

11. SevenEleven macrumors member

SevenEleven

There is a confilct if you are jailbroken. Go into sbsettings and disable bitesms and it will work. I had the same problem and this fixed it for me.

12. drewc1138 thread starter macrumors 6502

I never had a problem logging in.

I haven't heard of anyone who has actually had Places work yet. It says it's not available in my region.

13. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Anyone see Apple getting upset over the "Places" name considering they are using that in iPhoto? Or is this just a term like "touchscreen" that everyone uses?

14. NashMan2 macrumors regular

Not available in my region either. (Nashville, TN)

Is it working anywhere? Why roll it out if it isn't working?:confused:

15. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm in NYC, and Places isn't working here.
    Kinda lame to roll out an update with a new feature...and it doesn't work yet.

16. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Double post

17. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

I live in Chicago and was thinking the exact same thing. They look stupid updating the app with this "new and exciting feature", only to have it not work. duh

18. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I just updated the app, and it's not working here in Philly either. Although my workplace is a half hour ride from the city, the app is saying, "this feature will be available in your region soon."

Kind of pointless if you ask me.

19. poose22 macrumors member

adding Places wasnt the only thing they did to this app you know. So don't be upset if it's not working yet. I don't even have the feature on the website. Would you rather the app not be ready to support Places once you're actually able to use it?

20. NashMan2 macrumors regular

This feature was the whole reason for the big press announcement...having it not work is kinda lame.

21. poose22 macrumors member

Right I agree, but they stated it is slowly being rolled out and everyone should have it real soon.

They wanted to have the app ready to support it. Would you rather Places be available on the website, but not on your iphone when it actually comes out in your area? People would then be complaining like no other :p

22. NashMan2 macrumors regular

If they'd said in the press announcement - "we are rolling it out, but it won't work in most places"? Then no problem.