Facebook push isn't working?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by big_malk, Jan 10, 2010.

1. big_malk macrumors 6502a

I got the new facebook app with push updates, and the other update that came after (3.1.1?) and it worked well for a while. But now I don't seem to be getting facebook notifications anymore. I still get mobileMe notifications, which I believe come through the same system? Which was the whole point to save battery power?

I've tried turning them on and off in the settings place, and I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it on my iPhone (not iTunes). When I launched it again, it didn't ask permission to send me notifications, which if I remember it did when I first installed the update? I expected it would have asked as when I uninstalled it it said all the data would be deleted, such as the permission to send notifications?

No idea if any of that's relevant, but I'd quite like to get notifications again if anyone has some tips :)

Also, there's no way to get notifications from facebook without pestering friends and looking a bit sad asking for comments is there?

2. mrpeepers macrumors regular

is NO ONE else out there experiencing this issue? trying to figure out why no one is writing about it. seems to be widespread but no major outlets are covering it, i.e., macrumors, lifehacker, macjunkie, etc., etc...

3. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've posted on facebook asking if anyone else was having this problem - same story.

Could be a problem at the facebook end? Although their not being very open about it if it is.

4. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Tons of issues with the new FB update. Push aside, you can't even do something as basic as post a photo on your wall....even trying to update your status only works about 50% of the time. Even after multiple delete and re-installs

Only can assume the developer of the FB app has no quality process in place prior to releasing an update. Each update makes FB worse

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said. It sucks
    most of the time I can't view replys posted on pictures, it closes randomly and will not let me open it again. I already reinstalled it 5 times, you never know if posts or pics will be put up. Terrible update.
    Wish I could go back to the previous working version with no push.

6. Xonnie316 macrumors member

I'm going through the same thing, its something to do with the iPhone Facebook app.

7. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe you could? I have a file 'Facebook.ipa' in my trash which I didn't put there myself, presumably it's the old version of the app iTunes replaced with the new one.
    If people want to change back and have that file, couldn't they just replace it with the current iTunes file, uninstall it on their iPhone, then resync, or something along those lines?
    As I understand it, you can't use someone else's copy of the app, as each version is locked to your iTunes account?

8. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

I had this problem initially. All you do is delete the app from your phone and then reinstall it and it should work. It is working for me now.... This was the issue as well with the MySpace app.

-Tony

9. Pennine macrumors 6502

It's happening with me as well, lots of buds in this app. It should be alot better because so many use it

10. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Tried multiple times, nothing changes (at least for me)

11. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Me too.

When re-installing it the last time, I got the warning when I removed it that all it's data would be lost. But when I re-installed it, before I'd even launched it it had a little red 1 saying their was a new notification, and as soon as I opened it my news feed was still there from the last time.

Maybe I didn't give it long enough to uninstall in the background or something, but it doesn't seem to be uninstalling properly (for me at least). Maybe that's why reinstalls aren't working for everyone?
    Do you need to sync to iTunes before reinstalling it? Or does installing it via iTunes do something differently?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Heres the older stable version 3.02
    It doesnt have push but everything works like it should with no crashes.
    You gotta unzip it first and you'll need a JB iphone with appsync to sync it to your phone.

Attached Files:

13. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Today my notifications started working!
    They don't show up all the time, and they're pretty slow at coming through (about a half hour delay sometimes), but at least they work a bit now!

Maybe this has been some problem at the facebook end that only affects certain servers or something, who knows. Seems to be getting better though :)

14. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Still no workie for me. Hourly IMAP email notifications are still more reliable

15. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

Mines comes in almost instantaneously.... But just to let ya'll know... there has been like 2 updates to facebook in the app store since this issue.... Good luck to all of you with this issue.

-Tony

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3.1.2 version thats out is still rediculously buggy.
    Hope they get it right sometime soon. For the moment Im staying with the old version that worked perfect without push.

17. gibbz macrumors 68030

Sometimes mine comes in 3.1.2, but others times they don't. Better than 3.1, but still buggy.

18. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

They are coming for me most of the time now, but there are still too many bugs in this update. I kind of wish I could downgrade back to 3.0, that worked fine, but I don't think I can.

19. big_malk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yip, I've got 3.1.2 :)

This morning I've had quite a few and they've come pretty much instantaneously so if it's keep working like this it's perfect!

I've not noticed any bugs that people are complaining about with 3.1.2 either. Except that sync doesn't match 'Becca X' and 'Rebecca X' in my phone book, but I don't really see how it could, without getting things wrong in other situations.