Facebook: re-doing my photo albums.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Razeus, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Razeus macrumors 603

Since Facebook is allowing 2048 rez pics, I'm going to reupload my photos. Only because I'm OCD and I have all kinds of rez pictures on there from Facebook's haphazard rules on photo sizes.

How do I make it so that it doesn't flood my feed (and my friends feed) with all the updates? Is there a way to turn off this feature for a while until I got my photo albums updated?

2. Ish macrumors 68010

Ish

Sorry I can't help with your question but wanted to comment on FB's Terms (at the bottom of the FB page) re your photos:

"Sharing Your Content and Information

You own all of the content and information you post on Facebook, and you can control how it is shared through your privacy and application settings. In addition:

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it."

Now I don't know why they think they should be able to do anything they want with your photos, or how they're relating it to one's application settings, but I'm playing safe and only putting low-res photos on there that I want to show to friends only. If anyone can explain it differently I'd like to hear it. I’ve also read (but haven't tried it) that now when you upload a pic it asks if you want standard or high res, and if you choose high res it comes on FB with a "Download the full size pic" button.

Just thought you might like to know before you put all your beautiful photos on there. :)

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

On a side note as well if you upload the Hi-res versions you will lose all your tags, likes, comments on your original photos (assuming you delete them) and as far as I am aware there is no way to replace the old ones without everyone becoming aware of the newly uploaded ones.

If you are anything like me and my friends albums that are more than 1 month old become old news and are probably never looked at again.

Perhaps consider that everything you upload from now be in Hi-res?

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Perhaps something has changed recently, but I recall trying out the higher resolution and finding that FB still displayed the images at a lower resolution. The only difference was that people could click a link to download the hi-res version (which few people will bother to do just to view the photo).

Is this not the case anymore?

5. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

lol. Why are you so paranoid. There are just photos of friends hanging out, my vacations, and family photos. Most sites that feature sharing photos have this clause. It's not a big deal. Tell me, exactly what do you think Facebook is going to do with the photos?

I will tell you that Facebook does use the photos for figuring your social graph. They want to know who's in the photos and how often, where we hang out most. They want to know, even though I don't "talk" (type) with someone on a wall, they can figure I have a relationship with others by who's in the photo. I assume this is why when they turned on face recognition on by default (marketed to us as "making it easier to tag your photos) everyone was up in arms.

They really need to start listening to their customers and making certain options and features more friendly, like being able to turn off my news feed when I want to do some updating.

I'm also on Google+. I've noticed I can swap out photos in an album an it doesn't show up in my stream. This is win. This is why I'm rooting for Google, to give FB competition on for them to start innovating.

6. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I uploaded a few photos yesterday and it asked me if I wanted to publish them on the news feed. I suppose you could just try the process with one photo and see?

7. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

^This, alternatively you may delete the post from your wall after you've published them.

This is important imo, Imageshack has it this way as well IIRC.

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

That just gives them the right to host your photo :p Without that they wouldn't be able to display your copyrighted photos on their site. It's not like some companies *cough* Color *cough* that give themselves exclusive rights to your photos, even after deletion

9. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

I use FB for my "social" photos....and upload via Aperture 3 - after all this is a Mac forum.
    When I've tried to re-upload all comments/ID tags have been wiped, so beware that.

I've not seen Aperture 3 give option for the hi-res upload, only when I upload the file from outside Aperture, ie finder level storage and upload within FB itself.