Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook is slowly rolling out a new Photo Sync feature to its iOS users that automatically uploads all photos taken on the iPhone to a private photo album on Facebook. The idea is to make it easier and faster for users to share photos with their friends.

facebook.jpg
TechCrunch has more on how it works:
Here's how Facebook Photo Sync works, at least for those lucky enough to be in the test. You go to the Photos app in the Facebook For iOS app's sidebar navigation or the photos section of your Timeline and scroll to the bottom. There you may find an option to check out Photo Sync and then enable it, as seen in this photo sent in by tipster YoloFahad (an Instagrammer-extraordinaire).

Facebook will then automatically upload photos you shoot to an unpublished album only you can see. From there you can authorize which photos you want posted.
Facebook's support site has much more about Photo Sync, as well. Facebook is using background uploads within the Facebook iOS app to move the photos, not anything special with location APIs or Apple's iOS 6 Facebook integration.

The app is very clear that all photos uploaded automatically are marked as private and cannot be viewed by others until specifically shared by the user. Users get 2 GB of complimentary photo storage.

Article Link: Facebook Rolling Out New iOS Photo Sync Feature

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
The iOS app Keeps getting better and better! The latest update was pretty awesome, you could tag people and share posts.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Auto uploads to Facebook are inherently better than to iCloud: they're stored permanently with no limit (presumably), they're accessible on any platform, and they're easier to share.
Google+ also has this feature.

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
Dumb. Give them my photos to their server and then select which ones are viewable to friends? No, how about I keep all my photos and maybe post some which I choose...

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
Based off of facebook's history, I'd never do this. People have deleted photos that stayed live on facebook's servers for YEARS afterwords, though not shown to the user if you saved the original URL you can still see and view the image.

Last thing I want is a picture uploaded to facebook that I can never delete and have no control over.

Last edited:

CShort

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Automatic

So does the facebook app have to be open for the background downloads to work?

PrometheusGeek

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Seriously no thanks. If its not optional, and if its "on" automatically instead of "off", then I'm uninstalling FB from my phone.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
This is good news for those who use Apple products and Facebook.

However, I am not on Facebook as I highly value my privacy.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
Yum

All that tasty information embedded in the exif data just waiting to be trawled through by Facebook, particularly if you have GPS data embedded too.

Now if Apple allow us to strip all of that out before hand

cerote

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2009
Doesn't FB own all images uploaded to them?

Sounds like a bad idea....

And there is an option in the ettings on FB to set because it gives FB the rights to use your image for other purposes. It says it is not used yet but being looked into in the future so they added the setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.