Facebook saving my familly

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by the vj, Nov 5, 2008.

1. the vj macrumors 6502a

I just realized again how Facebook is helping me out with my mother.

As I am the youngest in my house and living with my mother she used to get in my nerves every time more. She is one of those people that express everything in a dramatic way while I am very practical and I just can't stand listening for 10 minutes the whole story of something just to be asked a silly question at the end.

Any way, I have 3 12" Powerbooks and a few month ago I decided to give one to my mother because the PCs where way too problematic.

Since day one she discovered Facebook and started to get into everyone elses business... I mean, she knows everything about everyone in the city and overseas.

Now my mother goes to her tennis practice every morning and in the afternoon she goes to her room, watch TV and dive into Facebook besides sending those powerpoints mesages about love, religion and all that.

My life became a paradise in my house until a week ago when we had no internet for about 4 days... I almost loose my temper. My mother was like crazy asking me and telling me every single stupid thing every minute and suggesting every silly thing all the time. My girlfriend reminded me: she is not with her facebook.

Thanks God the internet was back and peace again.

I do not know where we would be without internet. Usually people get isolated by it but in this case is even therapeutic.

My mother still going out and has an excellent life but I am so blessed I am on my own.

Does anybody had a similar experience?

2. TheHoff macrumors 6502

You should get her an iPhone next; great for trips with your mother as the Facebook iPhone application is quite good now.

3. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Step-mother recently found Facebook and for the longest time I would not add her as my friend. I didn't want her to see my profile, but gave in because I really have nothing to hide. It's disturbing to have your step-mom on FB to say the least...

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^Wow, Arn time-travelled and edited your post in 2001!!! :eek:

Tell your family to edit their Privacy Settings so that she can't see everything in their profile. That, or get her a novelty gun that shoots backwards.

5. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Think long and hard about getting your Mom an iPhone. My Mom has one, and she hasn't quite figured out that you e-mail someone when you want to send a long message, whereas text messages are for short notes. Apparently the iPhone will let you create a text message of arbitrary length, and breaks it up into 160 character chunks automatically.

Well my Mom, bless her heart, creates an God forsaken text message novel, and sends it to me none the wiser because the iPhone doesn't let her know that the message she's about to send will be split up into 67 different text messages, all to be sent to my poor unsuspecting Blackberry that's two seconds from being gang raped by a plethora of SMS.

6. the vj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, we had problems when she wanted to add pictures to her profile, I mean, she is 60 something but my older brother took the time to teach her.

Then she wanted to chat and use MS Messenger, she just knew a friend of her mentioned chatting at the tennis club, I set her up an account and there was not any of her friends to chat with.

Before that I gave her an iPod shuffle... big mistakes. She wanted all those very old songs and she knew I could find them on the net but I never get songs from the web, I do it probably 2 songs per year, she thought is was like getting into a place and getting them. Well, her iPod shuffle has the same 6 songs for the last 6 month.

But any way, she has her facebook at least.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Your mother sounds like a bit of a neurotic mental, an addiction to social networking sites probably isn't going to help with this.

8. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

9. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

x2 -- anything so she can access FB and fuel her addiction.

10. topcat121 macrumors newbie

So glad my parents don't have facebook! Would find it a bit strange them being addicted to something I am.