Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
I don't know if this is an iOS9 issue (I suspect not) but since I'm running the beta I'll put it in here.

What is it that's causing so much "background"? I don't have location services on and background app refresh is also off.

image.jpeg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Facebook is coded in such a way it seems that it is allowed to run in the background for longer periods of time and more often than a typical application. Perhaps it is related to its integration into iOS, perhaps it's something else.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Facebook pretends to be a VoIP app and gets extra background execution time because of that.

Technically this is not allowed but Apple has a real hard time enforcing its rules against Facebook because if they pull it from the app store, 95% of iPhone owners will raise hell.

This sort of **** is why I've stopped using the app, and only occasionally check Facebook using Safari. I'm not a heavy FB user, though; I can see why heavy FB users would be pissed off about this. :(

Reactions: npolly0212 and qap

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Facebook pretends to be a VoIP app and gets extra background execution time because of that.

Technically this is not allowed but Apple has a real hard time enforcing its rules against Facebook because if they pull it from the app store, 95% of iPhone owners will raise hell.

This sort of **** is why I've stopped using the app, and only occasionally check Facebook using Safari. I'm not a heavy FB user, though; I can see why heavy FB users would be pissed off about this. :(

Very strange. And **** like this is the exact reason I hate Facebook lol. I mean, it's not a HUGE deal, but like... I'd rather save the battery for when I'm actually using the apps lol.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Isn't VoIP one of the 5 types of things in apps that are allowed to run indefinitely in the background? Gps is another I believe, I forget the other three things. Without those 5 things apps can "ask" iOS for an extension of a max 15 minutes to complete a task.

Since Facebook has one of the five things it will pretty much always run and never suspend. The only way really is to fully close it from the app switcher.

It's not because Facebook is a giant and Apple is scared to say no. It's because it has something that allows it to always run.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
It's not because Facebook is a giant and Apple is scared to say no. It's because it has something that allows it to always run.

It is against App Store policies to request VoIP entitlements to keep running in the background unless the app is a genuine VoIP app. Normally apps are denied in the app store for this reason, but Facebook isn't.

Messenger might have an excuse here, as it can do VoIP calls. But not the main Facebook app which is the culprit here.

Salvor Hardin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
Will closing the all after using it prevent it from running in the background?
Closing it out from the app switcher should kill it's background refresh access unless 9 has changed it. Turning off it's background refresh and location services permissions should stop it from ever eating up your battery in the background.

It is against App Store policies to request VoIP entitlements to keep running in the background unless the app is a genuine VoIP app. Normally apps are denied in the app store for this reason, but Facebook isn't.

Messenger might have an excuse here, as it can do VoIP calls. But not the main Facebook app which is the culprit here.
Did they have VoIP in messenger back when that was still part of the Facebook app? If so it's possible that they're using that to get away with still using it.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
Closing it out from the app switcher should kill it's background refresh access unless 9 has changed it. Turning off it's background refresh and location services permissions should stop it from ever eating up your battery in the background.

App switching closing will kill it, yes. However, turning off BAR and LS will not stop it from eating up battery. Always close this particular app and other offenders using the app switcher.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
So how have people found Facebook since the supposed battery/background fixes?

I just checked my battery status and in the last 24 hours, Facebook was responsible for 8% of battery use, with 23 mins on screen and 1.6 hours in the background. I have BAR and location disabled for Facebook.

To be fair, the screen-time-to-percentage and total-time-to-percentage ratios (good ways the measure the battery value of an app) are ok, comparing them to other apps, but the screen-to-background ratio of 1:4 is the worst of any app I have. What are you doing Facebook?

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
I haven't noticed any improvements with the app since the new update that was supposed to fix the background activity. Still have to flick the app from the task switcher, which really is a minor inconvenience at most, but still. Blows my mind that they can't get it right. Or don't want to, who knows.

For what it's worth I have location services enabled, BAR off. Closing the app after using it seems to improve overall battery life, but some of the effect could be a placebo.

qap

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Italy
I'm a FB heavy user and I also "haven't noticed any improvements with the app since the new update" BUT I have noticed that while using "Low Power Mode" FB app doens't eat my battery, don't ask me why, but during a normal day -whithour LPM- FB app runs for 4/5 hours in background, whith LPM on, it runs just as it should do! PS: withour kill the app from backound every time, that would be very annoying!

And since I haven't any problem or big limitation with LPM, I'm using it every day :D and I'm able to end the day with 30/40% of battery (like now, in italy are the 11:30PM) with 8/9 hours of usage!

1umeF0T.jpeg

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have background app refresh toggled off for all apps individually, and then the main toggle off too. If I use the FB app I use it sparingly (mainly the website due to not wanting to install the pathetic messenger app), and I force-close the app immediately upon exiting.

The FB app has always been a POS and the company never listen to users. We're just statistics for them to sell onto advertisers and other more dubious clients. Did they listen when we asked for newsfeed to be prioritised by 'most recent'? No, and we have repeatedly asked. Did they listen when we asked for the integral messaging app to be reinstated? No, and we have repeatedly asked. Just look at the consistent one star reviews for FB in the App Store. They're so sneaky that they 'update' the app every couple of weeks in order to reset all the negative reviews. Oh and whilst we're at it, their failure to list what the updates contain and address is disgusting too. Facebook are just a shoddy company.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have background app refresh toggled off for all apps individually, and then the main toggle off too. If I use the FB app I use it sparingly (mainly the website due to not wanting to install the pathetic messenger app), and I force-close the app immediately upon exiting.

The FB app has always been a POS and the company never listen to users. We're just statistics for them to sell onto advertisers and other more dubious clients. Did they listen when we asked for newsfeed to be prioritised by 'most recent'? No, and we have repeatedly asked. Did they listen when we asked for the integral messaging app to be reinstated? No, and we have repeatedly asked. Just look at the consistent one star reviews for FB in the App Store. They're so sneaky that they 'update' the app every couple of weeks in order to reset all the negative reviews. Oh and whilst we're at it, their failure to list what the updates contain and address is disgusting too. Facebook are just a shoddy company.
Some "interesting" theories there, but there are plenty simpler ones that are more likely.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
It's crazy that I don't have this problem but everyone I know does... I'm a very light facebook user but when I don't use the app it doesn't show any background use. In fact, I don't think any of my apps show background use. iPhone 6S+ 9.0.2

sohaloh

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
London, Ontario
A couple of my friends have reported something quite disturbing about the facebook app. Apparently stuff they talk about in real life shows up as sponsored ads in the facebook app. By talk I mean talking face to face with the phone around, meaning the mic is always on picking up keywords. Anyways I deleted the facebook app just to save power and my battery life improved by 30-40%. Then when yet another friend complained about suspicious ads I decided to revoke microphone access for the messenger app. My battery savings went up to 70%. Normally taking my iphone 6 off charge at 7 am and going to work i'd be left with around 10% at 5 pm. Heavy email, messaging and safari usage along with facebook. Without the app and microphone access revoked for messenger I am left with 70% battery at 5 pm. Which is just goddamned amazing. I wonder if there is a way to confirm these findings.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
A couple of my friends have reported something quite disturbing about the facebook app. Apparently stuff they talk about in real life shows up as sponsored ads in the facebook app. By talk I mean talking face to face with the phone around, meaning the mic is always on picking up keywords. Anyways I deleted the facebook app just to save power and my battery life improved by 30-40%. Then when yet another friend complained about suspicious ads I decided to revoke microphone access for the messenger app. My battery savings went up to 70%. Normally taking my iphone 6 off charge at 7 am and going to work i'd be left with around 10% at 5 pm. Heavy email, messaging and safari usage along with facebook. Without the app and microphone access revoked for messenger I am left with 70% battery at 5 pm. Which is just goddamned amazing. I wonder if there is a way to confirm these findings.

I've had this happen before. Talked about capital one bank, and buying a new bed and I was seeing ads for capital one and mattress sales.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Always people telling others to delete it or force close it. I am interested in the matter and would like Facebook and/or Apple to detail what exactly it does in the background, how it gets away with it, and if it's going to stop it (properly).

rowdt1

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
The Netherlands
Always people telling others to delete it or force close it. I am interested in the matter and would like Facebook and/or Apple to detail what exactly it does in the background, how it gets away with it, and if it's going to stop it (properly).
Good luck trying to contact them and asking for a comment! Let us know if you have an answer, please.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Good luck trying to contact them and asking for a comment! Let us know if you have an answer, please.
Facebook already publicly commented on background and battery use, and released a 'fix', very recently. No doubt this was a result of many people discussing it and contacting them and Apple (I have done all three via here, app reviews and iOS beta feedback). I brought this topic back to see if others still have the issue. It's hardly inconceivable that Facebook will take further steps to address the issue and communicate that to us, if many others are still having the issue and are repeating the same steps to make noise about it. I'm not saying that's the case yet though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.