Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pogar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2015
HI
I've just moved to iPhone (6) from Windows Phone... However I still use Microsoft services in many places, so I'm trying to stick with them. My phone setup is:
  • iCloud contacts sync disabled
  • Contacts and calendar sync are going from/to Microsoft Account (account added as Outlook)
  • Above is a one group in Contacts up
  • I've added Facebook account in phone settings, all syncs are enabled there
  • I've installed Facebook app
  • Above gives me second group in Contacts app
My goal is to have Contacts (from MSA) linked to FB Contacts. It might be done manually. The primary reason here are photos.
However FB sync is not syncing all contacts from FB:
  • One Friend , which has a phone number visible in FB, is not synced (not displayed in FB group) , I don't have this friend as contact in Microsoft Account
  • My Wife, without email and phone visible, didn't get synced. This contact got synced, after her phone and email (in FB) got visible to me
  • I have my Mother as contact in MSA and as friend in FB. Phone/email are not shared in FB, contact is not synced from FB.
  • Some other accounts are visible in Facebook group in Contacts app.
It looks like, that there is some algorithm (or bug, or randomization) with selecting FB Contacts to sync..
Any ideas?

I have tried to use Sync.ME app, but the app :
  • only found pictures to 3 MSA contacts, for which I don't have these persons as FB friends
  • when editing the MSA Contact in the App, I can only add FB profile to the contact, if the FB profiles got synced before. Probably by iOS itself..
I saw another thread, that Facebook changed something at the end of April, but I'm not sure if my issue is related...

Thanks in advance and best regards

pogar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2015
short update (issue is still present):
  • I cannot see any sync logic.
    • I have synced contacts without any other details, than Facebook “email”, while some contacts, with the same criteria, are not synced to the phone
    • I have synced contacts with phone number visible to me in Facebook (webpage/ app), while some contacts, with the same criteria, are not synced to the phone
    • The same “rule” applies to contacts, with classic email shared. Some are synced, some are not.
  • Apple phone support asked to do settings reset, then factory reset from iTunes. Didn’t helped (phone, for these tests, were configured as new Iphone, without Apple ID, without Facebook app, with just account added – Facebook. The same issue). Then Apple support asked to contact Facebook support
  • Facebook support doesn’t reply to messages, unless they need to ask something.

Any ideas how the get this working ? I suspect iOS bug..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.