Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beeker27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
iPhone 5, 16GB
iOS 6
The documents and data folder of Facebook app is growing daily and is up to 3GB of data (2.9GB of documents and data)
I have successfully downloaded ifunbox and cleared the cached folder and at most it does 100MB. Which allows me to use FB app day to day. But it's contiuning to eat up space.

Question: Is there a way to delete all this useless data that Facebook keeps compiling? Or perhaps a way to download Facebook app again on iOS 6, even though the App Store says it requires iOS 7.

Not an option: Upgrading iOS, Disregarding Facebook completely.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Uninstall the Facebook app and install it again. That will clear out the cache. Something you might need to do once in a while if/when the cache gets too large for your needs/wants as it grows over time as you use the app.

Edit: Just realized the iOS 6 part of it all. I believe there is a way to download the last iOS 6 compatible version again from your purchased apps or through iTunes.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I thought Apple let you download the last compatible app version for your iOS. I guess it is only on devices which can no longer upgrade iOS.

Beeker27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
I thought Apple let you download the last compatible app version for your iOS. I guess it is only on devices which can no longer upgrade iOS.

I have seen other post about this but over a year old and since the App is such an integral part of my business use I can't take that risk without knowing for certain that I can re download the app...
If someone could confirm that it would help immensely!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Stop using Facebook. Your life will be better for it!

If you can't live without if then your stuck. The app caches a lot of crap to make it load quicker.

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
I have seen other post about this but over a year old and since the App is such an integral part of my business use I can't take that risk without knowing for certain that I can re download the app...

You'd have to sync the app to a computer via iTunes, then delete it from your phone, then sync the Facebook back to your phone.

Or just update iOS already.

Beeker27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
I use battery doctor. Its a free app from the appstore.
It clear all apps cashed memory and gives you back your space taken up by "other"

Tried this while it cleaned up some other apps it did nothing to the 2.9GB fb takes up. But thanks.

Beeker27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Weird, it always works for me.
Maybe cause Im on ios 8 with the latest FB app?

Very possible I had read facebook had made an update to fix this issue and I have the most up to date version I can for iOS 6, but still no luck.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012

Try it with another app which you may not care too much about.

Jeff R

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
I delete & reinstall Facebook & Twitter every time there is an update (which is like every other week).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.