Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

180852-facebook_300.jpg

Bloomberg reported today that social networking site Facebook is planning on entering the mobile phone market as early as 2011.
The devices, which will feature Facebook social-networking services, are due to be introduced in Europe in the first half of 2011 and the U.S. in the second half, said one of the people, who asked not to be identified because the plans haven’t been made public.
Facebook is said to be working with mobile-handset manufacturer INQ Mobile Ltd. to produce the hardware for the device. The new phone is said to be based on a "stripped-down version" of Google's Android operating system with Facebook integration.

Despite being based on Android, a Facebook phone would be competition for Google as much as it is for Apple. Google benefits from ad revenue tied to their search and other services which would likely be supplanted by Facebook services on a Facebook-based phone.

Article Link: Facebook to Enter Mobile Phone Market in 2011

rikers_mailbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2003
LA-la-land
Just another 'iPhone killer' </s>

But seriously, this is the OS fragmentation that Jobs predicted. As Android is shoehorned into countless forms, witness how compatibility, usability, security, reliability, etc. suffer.

Speaking of fragmentation ... a Facebook branded phone? Really?

Comment

Xavier

Contributor
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
So it would be an android phone with only one app available. Facebook.

I am willing to bet his phone ends up being pretty lame

Comment

batmccoy

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
All I can says is

OMG...the cell-phone industry must be much more profitable than I thought.

Comment

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Facebook needs to come out with their own toilet so I have a place to put all of my "friends'" useful status updates.

I'd buy that.

Comment

SerenityInt

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
Combining the two services with the worst potential for privacy violations into a device that has the worst potential for privacy violation... what a great idea!

Comment

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
ironically this is what MS was should have done

with their little phones they came out with? What were they called? I think they actually had a good idea with those phones.

A facebook phone will totally flop. Facebook is an APP. It will always be an app. No mater how much people use the app it, it isn't going to be a good phone.
OIn the end, people will just prefer REAL android with real facebook ( or real iPhone with real facebook )

Comment

sellitom

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
TX
Almost as stupid as those ESPN phones that came out, and flopped, a few years ago.

Comment

hwhalers

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2009
Microsoft already tried this, and it didn't work out so well. Maybe they'll buy up all the unsold Kin hardware and shoehorn Android onto it? :p

Competition is good for the consumer but come on...

Perhaps it's just a personal annoyance of mine, but this "competition is good" meme got old before it started. In a sense it's (tautologically) true, but so what? Even if these devices weren't based around expensive 2-year contracts that makes it impractical to flip flop between them, crap companies make crap products, with very few exceptions. The sheer number of devices and operating systems doesn't magically advance anything. The vast majority of innovative designs and concepts are produced by very few companies (and, more accurately, small groups inside those companies), and the rest are xerox outfits. Do you honestly think that the caliber of device Facebook would produce would drive the industry to new, innovative heights?

Comment

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I new revision every 6 months and all the people who get the new one are like "I WANT THE OLD ONE" and all the people with the old one are like "WHEN DO I GET UPGRADE"

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.