Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

facebookapp.jpg
Facebook this week has detailed how it plans to give its users "more control" of their privacy on the mobile and desktop versions of the social network. One of the major new additions is described as a "privacy center" that will provide simple tools to manage privacy and combine all core privacy settings into one easy-to-find interface.

In order to explain how to use these features to its users, the company today is rolling out educational videos in its News Feed centering upon topics like "how to control what information Facebook uses to show you, how to review and delete old posts, and even what it means to delete your account." This marks the first time that Facebook shared its privacy principles with its users, stating that the updates "reflect core principles" it has maintained on privacy over the years.

As pointed out by TechCrunch, Facebook's planned rollout of beefed up privacy features comes ahead of a May 25 deadline for compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in the EU. The GDPR's goal is to give citizens back control over their personal data while "simplifying" the regulatory environment for business, essentially affecting "any entities processing the personal data of EU citizens."
[Facebook] will need to make users feel they trust its brand to protect their privacy and therefore make them feel happy to consent to the company processing their data (rather than asking it to delete it). So PR and carefully packaged info-messaging to users is going to be increasingly important for Facebook's business, going forward.
While all Facebook users will gain access to the updates, beginning today users in Europe will get reminders pushed out to them to take part in the network's existing privacy check-up feature. In terms of the new privacy center, Facebook didn't offer any specifics as to when it will launch and if the controls offered to users will be the same in the United States as they are in Europe. Another part of Facebook's plan is to run data protection workshops for small and medium businesses -- again focused on a launch in Europe -- that will center upon the GDPR.

Earlier in January, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced a major change coming to the News Feed, which aims to cut down on the content displayed from publishers and instead highlight more content from family and friends. The update was described as a way to have more "meaningful social interactions" on Facebook by reducing the amount of posts from businesses, brands, and media.

Article Link: Facebook Announces Series of Updates Aimed at Improving User Privacy

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Last edited:
Reactions: CarpalMac

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Opted out of Facebook a while ago. Until/unless they do something about bots not going to look at it again.

Besides, younger people are using Marco Polo or Snap Chat, services that old people like me don’t use. When Grandma started posting on it Facebook became boring.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
My german friends = locked down not even using their real names or age on Facebook

My american friends = „public“ as a default setting

The „cultural“ differences are funny sometimes

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
My german friends = locked down not even using their real names or age on Facebook

My american friends = „public“ as a default setting

The „cultural“ differences are funny sometimes

Wait until your next big election. You too will have thousands of bots spreading disinformation and because they aren’t real people they will have fake names and ages. If your country wants to reduce this they had better start now.

Reactions: CrickettGrrrl

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Wait until your next big election. You too will have thousands of bots spreading disinformation and because they aren’t real people they will have fake names and ages. If your country wants to reduce this they had better start now.

My country is already turned into little-China unfortunately. There’s a new rule that requires social media platforms to delete „offensive“ content within 24 hours however the definition of „offensive“ was never properly written down so they are deleting things to be on the save side. Sad really

Also analytics and tracking is required to be „opt-in“ in the EU by April or May I think

Reactions: Yugure

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
My country is already turned into little-China unfortunately. There’s a new rule that requires social media platforms to delete „offensive“ content within 24 hours however the definition of „offensive“ was never properly written down so they are deleting things to be on the save side. Sad really

Also analytics and tracking is required to be „opt-in“ in the EU by April or May I think
What country do you live in? I would guess based on your name but I have found that I’m not very good at determining what names are common where.

iProd

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Boston
Perhaps this means they'll reduce all the telemetry garbage their apps are performing that obliterates battery life?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
How many times can they try to give us more control but still need to give us more control?

For EU citizens, Facebook has to or get a (huge) fine.

Who does the GDPR affect?
The GDPR not only applies to organisations located within the EU but it will also apply to organisations located outside of the EU if they offer goods or services to, or monitor the behaviour of, EU data subjects. It applies to all companies processing and holding the personal data of data subjects residing in the European Union, regardless of the company’s location.

What are the penalties for non-compliance?
Organizations can be fined up to 4% of annual global turnover for breaching GDPR or €20 Million. This is the maximum fine that can be imposed for the most serious infringements e.g.not having sufficient customer consent to process data or violating the core of Privacy by Design concepts. There is a tiered approach to fines e.g. a company can be fined 2% for not having their records in order (article 28), not notifying the supervising authority and data subject about a breach or not conducting impact assessment. It is important to note that these rules apply to both controllers and processors -- meaning 'clouds' will not be exempt from GDPR enforcement.

Last edited:

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
“Privacy” on social media is just a ruse. There is none, and you’re being lied to for PR purposes, simple as that.

Big business can and do pay for “backdoor” access to look at your profile, activity, and content. For example, insurance agencies do it all the time. It’s standard practice to see if you, as the claim filer, are being truthful and honest. And if these businesses can do it legally, you can bet governments do it too, with every bit of your information served up on a silver platter.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
FaceBook is on the rapid decline. Good job they bought Instagram

that's a whole other issue. especially in terms of how the two link. I use my facebook and instagram for two different purposes with two totally different logins and yet folks from my facebook could see my instagram when i didn't want them to. that is not cool. any connection between the two should be opt in, not out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.