Facebook Users Will Soon Be Able to Apply for a Job Within iOS App and on Web

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Facebook has announced that businesses in the United States and Canada will soon be able to post job listings on their pages, and potential hires will be able to easily browse local openings through a new "Jobs" bookmark. The update is rolling out over the next few weeks for both the Facebook iOS and Android apps, and on the web.

The company said that the update is aimed at small business owners who may find it more difficult than expected to hire talent for specific positions. After a job is posted, employers can review applicants, contact them on Facebook Messenger, and set up an interview date for the best candidates. The update has already begun as a small test in parts of the U.S.

[​IMG]

On the applicant side of things, job posts will be visible in their News Feed, in the Jobs bookmark tab, and included along with other posts on the business' regular Facebook page. Clicking "Apply Now" pre-fills information accumulated from the user's Facebook page, and applicants can review and edit it to their liking before hitting submit.

Facebook recently announced that it is building a video-focused app for the Apple TV that will allow users to watch the "same kinds of videos" as found on the Facebook app, but on a larger screen. The app will recommend videos for users to watch, but they will also be able to save videos to watch on mobile and then view them later on Apple TV. An official date for the app's launch hasn't been set, but the company said it's coming "soon."

Article Link: Facebook Users Will Soon Be Able to Apply for a Job Within iOS App and on Web

2. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

No no and NO!

Not only does FB now know every detail about your life, they will now know every detail, in every detail about your entire work history.

You're a fool to use such a service.

3. IvanX macrumors 6502

What's wrong with using LinkedIn for this type of function? Or even advertising with "help needed" on the exterior of your company?

4. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Privacy? What's that?
    A very good return on investment for FB. 1000s can apply for a job but only a few will be chosen, thanks for all your info people!

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No way, FB is trying to intrude on all aspects of my life, I will resist this just every other aspect. Ugh, I hope this initiative is a complete failure.

6. LordQ macrumors 68030

LordQ

Took the words right out of my mouth.

7. twinlight macrumors regular

twinlight

Makes it easy for an employer to weed out people how liked racist crap or have posted uncomfortable things I guess..

8. RowellE macrumors regular

RowellE

Came here to post something similar!

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It will save companies a lot of time. Anyone using this to post for a job will be automatically turned down :).

10. yanksfan114 macrumors regular

Remember in the days of the early internet when you were told to never give out personal information of yourself? I member.

11. odds macrumors 6502

Problem with that is that the Leftists at Facebook regard just about anything that isn't perfectly PC as "racist".

12. itsmilo macrumors 6502

itsmilo

As if i would tell a company i apply for my fb name let allone apply THROUGH fb

13. wolfshades macrumors 6502

wolfshades

Exactly. If I were an employer where IT security was an issue, I would definitely include Facebook in my job advertising venues. And yeah, I would cross-check all applicants to see if any applied through the Facebook portal. Those who had would be immediately rejected.

14. C DM macrumors Nehalem

If somehow even borderline realistic, chances are that would fly in the face of some sort of hiring regulations in one way or another.

15. LDN macrumors member

The future we used to joke about on forums and imageboards in 2008 is now reality. Oh my sweet Christ. It'll only get worse.

16. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

They say that whatever you post on Facebook, can be traced to employers (one reason why my account is kept private, but even still data is still saved on Facebook's server), now this will just make it easier for employers to view your account and what you post and can be a determining factor. Should just use linkedin.

17. stiligFox macrumors 6502a

stiligFox

Yeah, I don't think letting potential employers have free and easy access to an applicants post history is going to end well for applicants.

Glad I closed my Facebook account. Played two months of FarmVille and felt like such a time sink I said to heck with it all. Makes it hard to connect to a lot of people and things but in the long run it should be better.

Would (will?) be a scary future when the only way to apply for a certain company is through Facebook...

18. zooby macrumors 6502a

I'll play devil's advocate a bit, but... what exactly is your biggest fear? I mean, say Facebook sees your resumé... what is the worst that could happen?

19. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

Do you not value privacy? Why would you trust a company in which it's sole source of income, is YOUR data? Who also market you, sell you and advertise to you. Not only do they know everything about your life, that you freely gave to them, they will now know everything about your work history, ethic, profession, education, your location of work, they can discern so many things from that it's not even funny.

No thanks. This should be shunned by everyone! It's like McDonald's saying they now have free banking for all customers! Umm no.

20. C DM macrumors Nehalem

It's probably fair to say that many people provided most of that data to Facebook long ago simply as part of their profile.

21. Olganech macrumors member

Any smart business would block access to Facebook.

22. zooby macrumors 6502a

I do, I think most people do. I know what you are saying, but I don't think you answered my question. You said they can discern information.... Ok? That's the worst outcome? Personalized ads, that are everywhere at this point?

23. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

You're asking the wrong questions. You should be asking, where do you draw the line? How much of your private life are you willing to give up?

24. zohaali146 macrumors regular

I completely agree with you :(

25. zooby macrumors 6502a

... thanks for answering my question.

/s