Facebook, when's the best time?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by motulist, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I have some big news that I want to announce on facebook, when is the best time to post it? I want to post it at a time when people are checking their front page the most so that it hasn't dropped off their wall's front page by the time most people check their facebook. So what time of day / day of the week is best to get the most visibility?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Depends on the timezone you want.

I never really thought about the best time, people will see it and respond. I'd not give it too much thought - just do it.

btw, what's the news - getting married? :)

3. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

Well, most of the people I'm interested in reaching are in New York and surrounding states. And the news is that I did quite well on a professional exam. I know from previous experience that sometimes when I posted big news in the past during the middle of the day, it got very little response compared to news I posted later in the day, but not during dinner time. From my experience, postings during business hours and dinner hours get little attention. It seems to me that the best time to post is early evening, but I was wondering if other people had thoughts on this issue also.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why not e-mail everyone in addition to posting on FB.

Or you could take an ad out on google, most everyone goes to google.

And LOL @ TDD. :D

5. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

I did LOL alot at this thread. Congrats on your exam, but do you really need to post on the internet about when you should announce something on facebook? Surely you know the timezones, what time they get home from work?

Its really not that difficult. No offence meant.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I know it's exciting but making a big deal over the timing in which you tell people does seem a bit strange. Just post the news and or pick up the telephone to tell the important people in your life your important news. It doesn't need a tactical display or anything.

P.S. http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/bigchillpill.gif

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sooooooooo, you have news you want to ensure everyone sees, and you choose Facebook to share it, but don't want anyone to miss it.

o hai e-mail, phone, txt, anything else that actually ensures direct communication!

communications choice FAIL :rolleyes:

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I have to agree here, posting important news via FB is lame.

Will you be my FB friend?

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Yeah, if you were my Facebook friend, I wouldn't get your news until about three months from now when I bother to log in, and even then I probably wouldn't notice it.

Pick up the phone, or send an e-mail to those you really care to reach.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Lets say you have 600 friends on FB, how many of them do you actually know?

11. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

My guess, Zero.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Lets be generous and say 50. So for the other 550 what do they care about how you did on your test.

13. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Let's not generalize. I'm on Facebook, I have about 250 friends on my list, and I know every single one of them. I make it a point never to accept friend requests from people who I have to think, "Who is that guy, and where might I know him from?"

I'm amazed at how many people I have found on Facebook that I've otherwise lost touch with over the years.

As for the OP's question, if you have news, just share it... it will find its way to your friends one way or another.

14. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Arguing when to post something on facebook ---> :D

What type of professional exam is it, if I may ask? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.