Facebook Working on Tech That Will Let You Type Texts, Emails, and Status Updates Using Your Brain

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

During its F8 Developers Conference in San Jose, California this week, social media company Facebook revealed an ongoing project in which it aims to launch a product that will allow users to send emails, texts, and post status updates using only their thoughts (via Reuters).

Conducted in a new wing it calls "Building 8," Facebook said that any final hardware launch is a few years away, but it's believed that the company is looking at the new product as a way to diversify its income so it might not have to rely so heavily on advertising revenue.

[​IMG]

Former Google executive and DARPA director Regina Dugan is leading Facebook's new initiative, which ultimately aims to allow users to type at 100 words per minute by monitoring their brain waves. Current technology allows researchers to type at eight words per minute, but it requires a brain implant. Facebook's solution, on the other hand, will be non-invasive.

Additionally, Facebook is working on a way for users to "hear through their skin." Beyond launching as an easier way to access Facebook and other content on smartphones, both technologies could see a huge surge in users who are deaf and disabled, or act as a way to break down the language barrier. "One day, not so far away, it may be possible for me to think in Mandarin and for you to feel it instantly in Spanish," Dugan said.

On Facebook, Dugan shared a few details about the "silent speech interface" projects:
    Other products and initiatives mentioned during the F8 conference included "clear, fashionable AR glasses that don't obscure eyes," internet connectivity in disaster zones, and a pair of new three-dimensional cameras. These last few projects are said to be more near term, while the thought-to-text and skin-listening technology are both "years away" from an end-user launch.

When asked if Facebook has any plans to build a voice assistant of its own for its iOS and Android apps, David Marcus, Facebook's VP of messaging products, told Variety this week, "We are not working on that actively right now." The company is instead focusing on bolstering its chat bot, "M" for Facebook Messenger, because it believes that users are more inclined to use text inputs to control their smartphones over their voice, particularly in crowded public situations.

Article Link: Facebook Working on Tech That Will Let You Type Texts, Emails, and Status Updates Using Your Brain

2. ncc1701d macrumors 6502

Good grief. If anything is going to get me into trouble, it's sending out my actual thoughts before they've managed to be filtered.

3. decimortis macrumors 6502

decimortis

Hope that tech is a one-way street.
    I'd hate to have an ad for next-gen cat litter boxes pop into my head every 15 minutes.

4. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Very cool idea, but I think it's a prime example of tech trying to go too far.

5. adrianlondon macrumors 6502

"Facebook Working on Tech That Will Let You Type Texts, Emails, and Status Updates Using Your Brain" implies most people currently post status updates without using their brain :)

6. m.x macrumors member

m.x

Oh boy, Facebook wants to connect to my brain, what could possibly go wrong?

Maybe they'll introduce a new section in your FB-timeline: "friends who thought this also thought..."

7. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I'd say that's mostly true ... :D

8. mdelvecchio macrumors 68030

mdelvecchio

9. Glassed Silver macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

I never would have expected this alignment of words.

Glassed Silver:ios

10. monty77 macrumors 6502a

11. rturner2 macrumors 6502

12. thisisnotmyname macrumors 6502a

thisisnotmyname

Implants are coming. Maybe it's time for me to launch a new startup.

13. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

Yep, to much of effort to type cople of lines of status update!! It sounds perfect for an Wall-e world!

14. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

This could be pretty awesome. Right now, the issue with wearables isn't the output so much as the input. Either its too small to manipulate with your hands, or you have to broadcast what you're doing to everyone around you by saying it aloud. Being able to read your thoughts sounds like a pretty perfect input method, to me.

15. RiddlaBronc macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

16. ArcaneDevice macrumors 6502a

If Facebook requires the use of a brain to post updates then I would say that it will reduce the comment count of Facebook by about 99%.

It would probably make the online experience a lot better too.

17. freediverx macrumors 6502a

Alternate headline:

Facebook Joins Google And Microsoft In Time-Honored Tradition Of Flaunting Vaporware

18. Wackery macrumors 6502a

sounds like an awful idea

ie:
    "Hi there, tits tits ass and tits"

19. bsforever macrumors member

bsforever

Nails it

20. zantafio macrumors member

Just more PR fluff aimed at propping up the stock price.
    It has a name in the industry: VAPORWARE.

21. avanpelt macrumors 68020

If even half the stuff I thought while reading Facebook automatically posted, I would probably have no friends on Facebook.

22. iReality85 macrumors 6502

Get ready for 'thought crimes' :confused:

But having Facebook hooked up to my brain? No thanks.

Zuckerburg doesn't need access to that.

23. robinp macrumors 6502

Worst idea ever. Of all the companies or organisations out there, Facebook is about the last one I would want to have any kind of direct access to my thoughts.

So much potential for abuse.

Nothing short of making this compulsory would get me to use this.

24. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

If you are old enough to remember cat commercials are haunting like that.

Now have fun with that for the day.

25. MikeFromTexas macrumors member