Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterell

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Okay, with the release of the new Facebook app coming out 'soon', having been told that it won't support push notifications till the next update - I was wondering if I could get people's opinions on the following:

Would you mind if you paid perhaps £2.99 ($5) for a Facebook app that supports push for:

1. Facebook Chat
  2. Alerting you every time someone clicks 'attending' to your event
  3. A particular person updates their status/comes online on Facebook chat
  4. Notifications you get on the site now (e.g. Friend requests, Wall Posts etc.)

The fact is - if you pay for an App - you can expect a more reliable service. As it currently stands, before the update for 3.0 support, Facebook hadn't been updated since July 2008. If it meant a more reliable service, and more updates with bug fixes - would you mind paying?

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Okay, with the release of the new Facebook app coming out 'soon', having been told that it won't support push notifications till the next update - I was wondering if I could get people's opinions on the following:

Would you mind if you paid perhaps £2.99 ($5) for a Facebook app that supports push for:

1. Facebook Chat
  2. Alerting you every time someone clicks 'attending' to your event
  3. A particular person updates their status/comes online on Facebook chat
  4. Notifications you get on the site now (e.g. Friend requests, Wall Posts etc.)

The fact is - if you pay for an App - you can expect a more reliable service. As it currently stands, before the update for 3.0 support, Facebook hadn't been updated since July 2008. If it meant a more reliable service, and more updates with bug fixes - would you mind paying?

yes i would pay, however i think alot of people wouldnt.

also you are incorrect about facebook not being updated since july. there was an update in about october i think it was. a decent one too.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Paying for push notifications for Facebook? Is it really all that important to know if someone is attending your event and such? Curious but if I ever really used it I would never pay for it.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
If you're that interested in alerts, can't you just set up an email when someone does those things?

kwjohns

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2007
As it currently stands, before the update for 3.0 support, Facebook hadn't been updated since July 2008.

Umm, huh?

Facebook wasn't even out until August 2008 and has had several updates since then...

Jun 21 Version 2.5
May 04 Version 2.4
Mar 27 Version 2.3
Jan 29 Version 2.2
Jan 08 Version 2.1
Sep 30 Version 2.0
Aug 27 New App: Free, v1.1

Source

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Shrug, I'd pay for a fully functional Facebook app. I am uninterested in push, I suppose, but if it did a lot more of the desktop functionality, why not?

It's odd people are saying they are unwilling to pay for a mobile feature that's free on the main website, when clearly, people are willing to pay $10-15 bucks (or more for multiple apps) that do what desktop apps do for free, like Beejive, IM+, etc.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
No, that'd get irritating to have all those things pushed to me.

The only thing I'd like is to be able to delete messages from the inbox through the application rather than having to visit the full website to delete them.

And I'd be willing to pay a low fee (non repeating) for it as is. But I'm glad they offer it for free instead :)

kawesome

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2009
deleting messages

you can delete messages in facebook by using the swipe method similar to the mail application on the phone. just swipe your finger left to right and a delete button pops up... very handy!

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
you can delete messages in facebook by using the swipe method similar to the mail application on the phone. just swipe your finger left to right and a delete button pops up... very handy!

But it doesn't delete it from your page online, just the app.

And again, I'd be curious to see how many people would in fact pay for a fully (or nearly) function FB app. Lots of paid apps do what can be done for free online: IM+, Beejive, AIM, weather apps, Netflix apps, etc. Free is awesome, but I'd be willing to fork over for a better, paid version. I bet many others would, too.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
I really don't give a hoot about push notification because I don't really care what is going on on Facebook until I have time to look at it. I have EVERY e-mail notification turned off. Just the way I'm wired. I want to be in control of my Facebook interactions and not have them in control of me. This is the same reason I have push turned off for my work e-mail. I like being on my schedule and not other people's schedule. If I had push e-mail turned on and it blinged at me I would have to look at it instantly because I am the poster child for O.C.D. :D

I would pay $2.99 because I use the App a lot and enjoy it.....and because I can afford $2.99....and because I'm not cheap. If throwing a couple bucks at them to get them to update it more frequently worked I would be all over it.

Steve

macrumors member
May 4, 2009
Anchorage, Alaska
Points to remember:

1) It is FREE.

2) Facebook has more than 200 million active users. Not all on iPhones, but lots are. It takes time to get it working right. And with that many users you just can't throw it out there. If they did and it did not work right, then you would be in here crying about that.

3) It will happen. You just have to wait. Do email till then. That's what I do.

4) It is Free. On the web and on your phone. And it is better then nothing.

iArrudaG

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
I wouldn't mind paying a couple bucks for a better version of facebook, althought I am not that interested in push.:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.