Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Facebook's 'Paper' App for iOS Updated With Photo Sharing Improvements

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Facebook today updated its Paper app to version 1.2.5, adding several improvements to the app's photo management capabilities. It's now possible for users to access their "Favorited" photos album on iOS for faster sharing of preferred photos, and the Camera Roll in the app organizes photos by date.

The "Favorites" album was introduced with the iOS 8 Photos app revamp and houses all of the images that a user favorites via tapping the heart icon on individual pictures within the app.

Today's Paper update also includes performance enhancements that are designed to make various features within the app run faster, including photo uploads.
We've been working to perfect your experience with Paper. In this release, we've focused on making it even faster and easier for you to share photos, in addition to fixing a few issues you've let us know about. Thanks for your feedback!

Here's what's new and improved:

- Camera Roll organized by date. When selecting media to share in the composer, photos and videos are now organized by the date they were taken.
- Share your Favorited photos. Quickly share photos from the new Favorites album introduced with iOS 8.
- Faster performance. We've improved the responsiveness of several parts of Paper including posting a photo.
First introduced in January of 2014, Facebook's Paper app is a news creation and curation tool that pulls in content from a user's Facebook news feed and other well-known publications, organizing it into a magazine-style layout for easy reading. Many people have come to prefer Paper over the standard Facebook app to read through their news feeds.

Facebook's Paper app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook's 'Paper' App for iOS Updated With Photo Sharing Improvements

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Anyone else think that "Paper" seems like a dumb name? It's like Facebook is trying too hard to be streamlined and cool but really isn't.

Comment

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Thank god they fixed the way photos are organized in the camera roll. The random way they were displayed before was just an insanely dumb oversight and made it impossible to share photos via the app.

Comment

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
What about Paper makes it unsuitable for the UK market?

Comment

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I downloaded Paper upon its release. Liked some aspects, but ultimately deleted it (partly due to the photo handling).
I may check it out again. Had pretty much forgotten about it.

Comment

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Oh, Thank God

Just what I needed, ANOTHER Facebook app. I think it would be useful to have a separate Facebook app for friends whose names start with letters A-M, and another for friends whose names start with letters N-Z. Maybe a daytime Facebook, and an evening Facebook too.

Comment

anshuvorty

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
What's the point of the app? Does anyone still use this thing? I gave it a go, but felt too skeumorphic IMHO, regular FB is good enough.

Comment

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
I actually prefer Paper to the standard Facebook app, except that it won't show all items from my feed. Just what is deemed Top Stories. So I don't use it.

Comment

Alimar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
New York State
I installed the update, now no News Feed photos appear above the Stories. Just gray. So, then I installed iOS 8.1.3, and no change. :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 81
Comment

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just what I needed, ANOTHER Facebook app. I think it would be useful to have a separate Facebook app for friends whose names start with letters A-M, and another for friends whose names start with letters N-Z. Maybe a daytime Facebook, and an evening Facebook too.

Welcome to a year ago.

Comment

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Thank god they fixed the way photos are organized in the camera roll. The random way they were displayed before was just an insanely dumb oversight and made it impossible to share photos via the app.
It wasn't random for me. They sorted it by videos first then most recent to least. This updated organization makes a lot more sense now though.

Can you read your messages in this app?
Yes.

Comment

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
I installed the update, now no News Feed photos appear above the Stories. Just gray. So, then I installed iOS 8.1.3, and no change. :eek:

Yeah me too

----------

Yep. Only reason I switched, was to keep from having to download their Messages app. It's nice they left the feature in. :)

Agreed. So many people complained about having to download messenger- if they knew about Paper they'd probably like it. It seems like Facebook keeps popping out these Creative Labs apps and then just giving them zero promotion (remember Rooms? Slingshot?) Paper got a bit of hype when it first came out but nothing since. My only guess is they just don't care- if these apps result in one new distinctive feature for the mothership it's worth it I guess. You can tell there's lots of talent here. But they don't seem to have any interest in progressing an app past launch.

Comment

-Maxim-

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2011

1. You don't have to use it.
2. Paper also includes Facebook messages - you can uninstall your Facebook app and the message app.
3. I personally like the design of paper better than the original Facebook app.
4. you are one year too late with your complaints.

Comment

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
This. Very annoying. You can change App Store to the U.S. and download it but that's not the point.

Why is it only available in the U.S.?

Seriously, it's not even available in the UK? I thought they only didn't like Poland... But US-only? Still? That's not even ridiculous. That's just sad.

Comment

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Seriously, it's not even available in the UK? I thought they only didn't like Poland... But US-only? Still? That's not even ridiculous. That's just sad.

I know, right? It's just pathetic. It's been out for one YEAR now!

Comment

urbanslaughter1997

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
1. You don't have to use it.
2. Paper also includes Facebook messages - you can uninstall your Facebook app and the message app.
3. I personally like the design of paper better than the original Facebook app.
4. you are one year too late with your complaints.

You're the second of only two people to bring up this "year too late" argument. (I guess that makes your comment "a comment too late.") I think the fact that this is happening IN ADDITION to the issues that were raised a year ago makes my point even more relevant.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.