Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oplix

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
This technology was first hinted in the 2008 blockbuster movie "The Dark Knight"

The government will soon use this technology in every single CCTV camera on the streets. This technology will be used to track persons of interest, criminals, and abducted people.

Apple is likely complicit in this as they are acclimating people to accept this technology as non-intrusive to privacy.

A friend of mine who works for the department of technology of New York City told me they will be rolling out this technology to all city cameras very soon and that there will be a giant boom in the cyber security field because of it.

Also, a lot of police stations, including New York City are now requiring retinal scans of arrested individuals to which people can not decline.

This is by no means any sort of conspiracy, it is simply untold reality.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
This technology was first hinted in the 2008 blockbuster movie "The Dark Knight"

The government will soon use this technology in every single CCTV camera on the streets. This technology will be used to track persons of interest, criminals, and abducted people.

Apple is likely complicit in this as they are acclimating people to accept this technology as non-intrusive to privacy.

A friend of mine who works for the department of technology of New York City told me they will be rolling out this technology to all city cameras very soon and that there will be a giant boom in the cyber security field because of it.

Also, a lot of police stations, including New York City are now requiring retinal scans of arrested individuals to which people can not decline.

drive through one of the tunnels.. ;)

(at least midtown & battery have it.. not sure about the west side.)..

oplix

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
drive through one of the tunnels.. ;)

(at least midtown & battery have it.. not sure about the west side.)..

Ya I know. They are making all these giant camera apparatuses more and more noticeable as well to get people used to them.

serialiphoneuser

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Tim Cook: We won't undermine iOS's security.. but here's a compromise, how about letting users unlock iPhones with their face? Will that work?
Other Party: YES!
Tim: We'll be rolling out Face-ID to all devices starting from 2018
[cheers & whistles]

brianric

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
I always get a kick when some people won't get an EZPass transponder for their cars because they don't want the government to track them. Ever hear of plate readers?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

That kind of thing has been already happening to one degree or another in various places. Cameras have been around for a long time now, and are constantly improving. What was in the Batman movie was somewhat different, on the other hand basic facial recognition through public and CCTV type of cameras has been in movies and TV shows for years and years now.

That said, it has little to do with Face ID that is local to the device. It has about as much to do with all of that as Touch ID has to do with our fingerprints being stored and used by the government.

oplix

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
That kind of thing has been already happening to one degree or another in various places. Cameras have been around for a long time now, and are constantly improving. What was in the Batman movie was somewhat different, on the other hand basic facial recognition through public and CCTV type of cameras has been in movies and TV shows for years and years now.

That said, it has little to do with Face ID that is local to the device. It has about as much to do with all of that as Touch ID has to do with our fingerprints being stored and used by the government.

it has to do with normalizing the technology in an average person's eyes. no pun intended.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
it has to do with normalizing the technology in an average person's eyes. no pun intended.
Not sure how Face ID would normalize or really do anything as far as cameras being around and watching us, which has already been around for years and really decades. Again, doesn't seem like it would do anything one way or another, similar how Touch ID hasn't really done anything one way or another as far as government gathering fingerprints or something like that.

Reactions: flat five

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
wait, so you think Apple is in on it? that they made faceID in order to normalize the tech in society?

i don't know.. there are cameras everywhere.. we hardly ever see or know who/what is on the receiving end of those.. it's pretty normalized as far as i can gather and if/when it's not, the cameras go up anyway.. society doesn't have to (hasn't) consent nor accept these things prior to them being implemented.

nothing to do with Apple.
(in my estimation)

oplix

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
its like minority report. eventually the mall will know who you are and what you are interested in buying

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Apple are not complicit in any of it, just look at the arguments they had with the FBI. Personally it doesn’t bother me I have nothing to hide, if the government are tracking people then they are tracking those that are far more interesting and dangerous, at least that’s my opinion from someone who lives in the UK.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017

You have a deep misunderstanding of the technology being employed in the iPhone X.

The CCTV cameras cannot do what an iPhone X does. CCTV cameras do not blast infrared light into a space and capture it back and analyze massive quantities of data to determine subjects. At the very best, they use far less accurate 2D scanning methodologies.

The iPhone X emits infrared light into the immediate environment and captures the light as it reflects off these objects including the contours of a persons face. This gives the computer a literal 3D representation of the objects including the face. This gives the computer a very high amount of and high quality data, which it then compares to previously collected data to determine if this is the correct user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.