FaceID and privacy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andpgud, Sep 25, 2017.

1. andpgud macrumors newbie

I have been wondering about one thing.
    With this Face ID wont you be giving away your privacy? I mean if you scan your face you can be tracked anywhere you go with monitoring and such.....
    Just a thought

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

https://www.apple.com/iphone-x/#face-id

"Your facial map is encrypted and protected by the Secure Enclave. And authentication happens instantly on the device, not in the cloud."

3. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Yes. I heard Apple gives daily scans of your face directly to the government, along with ad serving companies such as Google and Facebook.

4. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

How's it any different from what your phone can do right now, and could always do? Your phone can already track you, and has a front facing camera, and mic.

If you're really worried about that sort of thing, you pretty much have to give up owning a cellphone.

5. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

I guess this might be news to some, but your face really isn't all that private. At least mine isn't. I put it on display every time I leave the house.

6. 0007776 Suspended

In general no more so than you could be with touchid. The one area where it might be less secure than touchid is if you are a criminal and want to refuse to open your device for the police, before you had enough fingers that they couldn't force you to try all of them before it would require a passcode. Now since you only have one face it would be pretty easy for the police to hold your phone to your face and unlock it.

7. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

8. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

Got news for you. If you have a Homeland Security approved driver’s license, your picture is already in government databases. Don’t see why folks are so concerned with the iPhone faceID.

9. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

10. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

We went through all of this when TouchID came out too.
    “I’m worried about what Apple will do with my finger prints!” :rolleyes:

11. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

That won’t work either, you need to look at the phone properly to unlock it. If someone tries to force then one can just look away from the screen or close their eyes.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Honest question, who would be tracking you and why?