FaceID Big Brother Extreme

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GalaDaliGirl, Nov 5, 2017.

1. GalaDaliGirl Suspended

GalaDaliGirl

This is the single most invasive, unconscionably, epic privacy breach in history. To allow images of our face to be captured and stored indefinitely.

I do not believe for a second that our images will not be accessed and mined by unscrupulous apps and corporations.

But then again we let Facebook and Google scrape every drop of our data and we don’t care. My God just read the Facebook messenger user agreement notes and Zuck warns you straight up that he owns you and all of your message, phone, text, voice data. But ultimately we don’t give a F.

It is sad how complacent we have become with allowing access to our data and our privacy to be totally obliterated.

The EFF is irrelevant in this day and age.

Why do people not care about privacy anymore? Are we just totally effing oblivious?

I️ will never accept being locked in to FaceID.

What a sickening thing to have images of your face monitored 24/7.

Don’t tell me it’s not. Complete BS. It’s the wave of the future for marketers. Being able to market products based on people’s images. Marketers can instantly capture and store so much info and make judgements now easier than ever. A persons age and lifestyle can be inferred from just one image.

FaceID is just beyond creepy and disgusting.

Sorry not sorry.

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

How is your face more of a privacy concern than your actual fingerprint?

3. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Funny that everyone puts all of their lives on Facebook and now worries about FaceID. Not to mention that the Government has your face data and fingerprint for a long time already.

Apple’s implementation is the most secure one that I can think of. If Apple is not to be trusted, Google If they are correct about it, your whole face’s data is not stored inside your phone nor in the cloud. The Secure Enclave just store some processed data which cannot be used to reconstruct your whole face model.

Many people are spreading FUD here.

4. drzen macrumors regular

drzen

Someone I know who has worked for the US govt (NSA) said to me something about a "massive data breach" being a reason for said person upgrading to the 8 plus over the X. Take it for whatever it's worth.

5. Milese3 macrumors 6502

You'd be mistaken. FaceID never takes an colour "image" of your face, at least not how you seem to be implying. It uses inferred light to map the three dimensional surface of your face. It is then stored on the phone, on a separate piece of storage to the main flash and never to Apple's data centres.

If Apple wanted to spy on you with coloured images, they'd already be doing it- every iPhone, and practically every smartphone, sold today has a front facing camera. Given the size of Apple, and of Google, something as unethical as this would've been whistle-blown.

Embrace the future. Technology is shaping culture and empowering people.

FaceID is just one aspect of the technological future, it's a marvel of Machine Learning and a testament to how far good privacy has come in 10 years.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You can turn off Face ID if you don't want to use it. Problem solved.

7. alFR macrumors 68020

Maybe try reading the white paper from Apple that explains how it all works before you start a load of ill-informed ranting? I dunno, it's just an idea...

8. stulaw11 Suspended

1) Your face is not private information unless you walk around in public with it covered. Your face is on traffic, ATM, government buildings, business and other inside and outside cameras daily IF someone from some 3 letter agency of the government wanted to see you.

2) Face ID does not take a photo of you; you only see yourself in the front camera when setting it up for convenience. Face ID makes an IR dot map of your face

3) Face ID is done on device in the secure enclave and cannot be accessed by any app; the app just asks the chip approved to get in or disapproved lock out.

Sounds like the incoherent ramblings of a tin foil hat wearer. And EVEN IF we took your statement as true in a worst case scenario, I'd MUCH MUCH rather give out a photo of my face, something hundreds of people see daily or can find on the web due to my licensing and business, than my fingerprint or other biometric information.

9. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Big FACTS.

[​IMG]

10. GalaDaliGirl thread starter Suspended

GalaDaliGirl

So much wrong I️’m trying not to waste the energy responding. But I️ guess I️ shall.

Not a single person here has NO position to state that Apple does NOT do this or does NOT do that.

You have ZERO idea what Apple does or does not do. So sick of hearing people say what Apple does or doesn’t do. It’s idiotic.

I️ don’t believe for a second that FaceID images will not be used for unscrupulous endeavors.

Law enforcement is going to LOVE FaceID.

Imagine when the biggest criminals in the world are caught by NSA or LEO type fake apps hit the shelves.

We’re just too stupid to care.

We have Snapchat puppy dog whiskers, flower headdresses and piglet ears to keep us busy and not caring about privacy and bowing down to the complete loss of control of our dignity and privacy.

Stop repeating that Apple DOESN’T DO THIS and Apple DOESN’T DO THAT.

You don’t work for Apple. You have zero knowledge about what any of these big behemoths really, truly do with our data and our privacy.

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It would be a good idea to get your facts in order, before trying to berate someone for posting a response.

All you have is emotional hyperbole mixed with bad information you got from somewhere on the internet.

12. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

13. webbuzz macrumors 68000

webbuzz

Yet, here you are.

Weird...

14. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

Facepalm.

Wear a mask before exiting your home, people might see you! They might take a picture of you! Privacy beach!! Oh Lord someone might know how you look like!! Terrible Terrible! Privacy!!!

15. anup.chavda macrumors member

16. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Actually, Face ID does not store any images of your face. It stores a mathematical representation that cannot be reverse engineered. And the math is stored in the chip’s Secure Enclave which is walled off from the rest of iOS.
    The Face ID data is not stored outside the Secure Enclave, it never leaves your phone and is not stored on apples servers. So what’s the issue?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 5, 2017 ---
    We do know. It’s all laid out here: https://images.apple.com/business/docs/FaceID_Security_Guide.pdf

17. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Don’t forget toput Your tin foil hat back on

18. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I do not think the OP could ever be convinced she was wrong, not even when confronted with the truth.

19. sparkyms macrumors 65816

*then goes on to speculate on what Apple does do*.

Nice one.