FaceID: crazy good

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eoblaed, Nov 2, 2017.

1. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Different angles, distances, lighting, all sorts of sunglasses (even polarized).

FaceID is looking really solid.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think Face ID will do really well. Ultimately, the real test will be over the course of time when the iPhone X has a higher adoption rate. And Apple will be watching closely to see what improvements or refinements need to be adjusted for version one.

3. cap7ainclu7ch macrumors 6502

So far the Verge seems to be the only place that has had any real complaints. Each positive review further enforces the fact that its a solid feacture. As someone with problems here and there with touchid, I’m excited for it.

4. Hoosier317 macrumors 6502a

Hoosier317

That review is on shaky ground as well. The “issue” he noted with Face ID in bright, direct sunlight only occurred twice...while he was walking and holding the phone down near his waist.

5. Knightcastle macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

MKBHD did the best review in my opinion, using two cameras to show the angle at which it unlocks etc

6. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Cmon OP. If you want 100's of replies, you gotto hate on X features. Hate. :D

Here's another similar vid....

7. Ries macrumors 68020

Bad editing. Not one time it shows how long or many tries it took, only that it is possbile. Every single time in the video, it cuts to the unlock try already pointing at the face just before it unlocks. Why is that? :)

8. eoblaed thread starter macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Because she typically films by herself with a single camera. Her channel is more about a nice flow and her personality. Mkbhd does more technical filming with multiple cameras and such.

That said, most of the reviews I’ve been watching pretty much agree with iJustine’s experience. It works, it works fast, and it works really well.

9. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

Arya Stark, Ethan Hunt, and villains in Scooby-Doo is going to have a field day.

Cersei and I will not. The Olsen twins may not. They aren't identical but fraternal.

Don't get too close to your identical twin.

[​IMG]

10. Diorama macrumors 6502a

Apple/Game of Thrones is a cool crossover theme.

11. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

12. GloriousAndrew macrumors member

GloriousAndrew

The only negative thing I’ve heard is it doesn’t always work when in direct sunlight. It’ll be interesting to see more tests in the coming weeks

13. KingslayerG5 Suspended

KingslayerG5

It's like the deleted scene in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. They were talking about how "primitive" the Zune was.

Face ID is primitive right now. Not ready for prime time. Most makeup artists could just take a mold of a celebrity's face and start unlocking their phones.

1 in 1M, huh? Not if you have an identical twin and a stash full of human face masks like Ethan Hunt and Arya Stark.

14. Diorama macrumors 6502a

There’s a guy on the forum who hasn’t had any problems with sunlight in Dubai, so I’m not to too worried about London haha.

15. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

if Arya is wearing your face, pretty sure you have worse things to worry about than what she plans on doing with your phone ;)

16. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

Did you read past this?
    Only way is if you have a twin.
    I think you’re good

17. eoblaed thread starter macrumors 68020

eoblaed

Not true. Watch the keynote and watch the subsequent reviews that have been coming out. A mold of a celebrity face won't do it.

Happily the overwhelming majority of us don't have identical twins.

And, I hate to break it to you, but Arya Stark is a fictional character. I think we're good. :)