iPhone XS Max Faceid does work in landscape on iPad pro

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NovemberWhiskey, Nov 10, 2018.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68040

NovemberWhiskey

2. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

2019 - gotta hold back some updates for the upcoming year :)

3. AppleHaterLover macrumors 68000

Apple have sort of done away with landscape everything on the X line - because everything sort of looks terrible, and sort of shows why the notch was not a good idea. Sort of.

I’m sure they could make it work if they wanted to, but I don’t think it’s a practical enough feature. I can’t remember unlocking my phone straight into landscape mode ever.

I’m sure they’ll do it for next year and say it’s the best thing ever though.

4. jk1211 macrumors 6502

It's unclear without a teardown, but may be different hardware (like a wider angle camera at play). It appears from early reviews the field of view is much wider on the ipad that it can recognize you.

And it doesn't make a ton of sense on the iPhone when none of the 3 support landscape homescreen.

5. draa macrumors member

draa

I said this in another thread before: a lot of people are using their phones in landscape mode while driving. So if you don’t have Apple CarPlay then this is a bummer.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

That’s your opinion what you believe you’ve observed. Do you have any real world evidence that it’s a high percentage ?

Personally I would say due to the nature of the two devices and how they’re used the iPad is far more likely to be used in landscape mode.

Now I don’t what goes into developing this technology and whether it adds additional cost in development and/or hardware manufacturing. If the percentage of people who would need the feature in landscape mode on the iPhone is small it may not be worth it to Apple to include it.

7. draa macrumors member

draa

Sure that is only my opinion and based on observation. When driving on the highway at night I see many people who are using their devices (not necessarily iPhones - I can’t discover the brand while driving behind someone) in landscape mode.

Another scenario I could think of is gaming. You’re playing a game in landscape mode and suddenly the doorbell rings. You put your phone on the table and when you return you grab it in landscape mode directly but can’t unlock it this way.

But yes, I agree that these cases might only affect a small percentage and therefore it’s not worth to include it.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would agree. Apple likes to ration their features on a year to year basis. But the question is, does Apple allow Face ID to be unlocked in portrait mode for both of the 2019 ‘XS models’ or just the Max version. Apple tends to favor exclusive features to the larger, more expensive version.

9. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

True. Makes more sense for the Max. Although this year (2018) the iPhone XS and XS Max are indentical excluding form factor. (That is correct right?)

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I believe all the core specifications are very similar, if not exact for the XS and XS Max.

11. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161