FaceID on 2018 Macs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Spytap, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Spytap macrumors regular

Any reason to think that FaceID might be coming to 2018 iMacs and MacBook/Pros? I can see it being a huge differentiator (logins and security) that doesn't require a ton of reworking from the hardware standpoint (swapping the current front facing camera with an offshoot of what's in the X right now.)

Any thoughts on why this does or doesn't happen, or even if this is more a 2020 kind of tech?

2. leman macrumors G3

The camera module is way to big to be fit on a thin laptop display. IPhones/iPads are much thicker. Microsoft can fit comparable tech on a SurfaceBook simply because it’s “display” almost as thick as the MBP’s body.

I don’t see FaceID coming to the Mac anytime soon.

3. sunapple macrumors 68000

sunapple

Agreed. If there was more space in the display we’d had better quality webcams too. Wonder if they’ll introduce a notch when the bezels become thinner.

Huawei certainly compromised in a worse way.

5F01A3E1-75A8-4D14-8D10-D347256C27AF.gif

4. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

I think they might be able to find a way to do it.

5. alex00100 macrumors 6502

Im pretty sure there’s enough space there, those screens are quite thick if you put an iPhone next to it for comparison. It will definitely come one day, but I’d not expect it until a major redesign.

6. SteveJUAE macrumors 68020

SteveJUAE

That's a bit unfair considering the SB display is a fully functional laptop/tablet in it's own right even the SP4 has windows hello and the thinner Surface too

It's a compromise by Apple by going thinner and not a reflection of MS laptops

7. leman macrumors G3

It was not meant as a criticism. I was simply pointing out that MS can fit that kind of camera only because their displays are actually tablets. Different designs, different intentions, different tradeoffs.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 7, 2018 ---
    Now that is a bit unfair :D I dont really think that trying to get your laptop screen to be thinner than 1cm should be considered a “compromise”. I’d call it basic ergonomy.

8. SteveJUAE macrumors 68020

SteveJUAE

No the compromise is the camera by going thinner, which is the topic :D

9. leman macrumors G3

I thought the topic was FaceID? It’s a camera that is almost 7mm thick after all, you’d have to supersize a screen to fit it...

10. silber macrumors newbie

IMO, not going to happen for a while. They just introduced the Touch Bar less than two years ago. We'll see it on iPads for at least a year or two before seeing it introduced on the Mac. I'm also not sure what advantage the addition of FaceID on the Mac would have over the TouchID that's already there.

11. jerryk macrumors 601

But Windows Hello Facial recognition works on dozens of notebooks beyond the surface and some have quite thin displays. This includes notebooks from Lenovo, Samsung, HP, Asus, Dell, etc. The camera module is not specific to any supplier but must have infrared illumination, and other security technologies.

12. ronincse, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018

ronincse macrumors 6502

ronincse

Kind of...most of the ultra book class laptops don't seem to support windows hello, although the ones like the XPS 13 and HP Spectre are actually a bit thinner than a MBP. The Lenovo Carbon X1 does support it but it is SLIGHTLY thicker than a MBP at 0.63" vs 0.59".

All that being said I would expect that a MBP could easily house the required equipment for Face ID

Edit: oops! I was looking at the XPS 13 9360 not the 9370. The 9370 does in fact support Windows Hello with a thickness of 0.46". So even more evidence for Apple being able to integrate Face ID into the MBP, unless we think Dell is a better hardware designer than Apple ;)

13. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

If they were going to introduce it on a 2018 machine we would have heard about at WWDC as it would be a major feature in what ever MacOS we might see it in. Especially with the stand on privacy they made in the coming operating systems

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not necessairly, I think we'll see new MBPs this fall, though I don't think it will be a major update

15. jerryk macrumors 601

As I understand it, the camera design for Windows Hello is not fixed. So if manufacturer X can create something thinner and get it certified from Microsoft, they are welcome to do so. Then they can sell the camera system as Windows Hello certified to notebook makers X, Y, and Z.

16. ronincse macrumors 6502

ronincse

Oh yeah for sure, I think it really just needs an IR camera and be at least 720p in order to work with Windows Hello. Although it looks like most use an Intel IR camera.

Just saying that if PC manufacturers are able to smash 3rd party off the shelf cameras into chassis that are slimmer than a MBP then surely Apple can manage to fit in their own version into a MBP ;)

17. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

I am with you there, but as you said, you do not think it will be a major update. Introducing faceID would be a major thing, and thats why I think if they had done that, the machines would have been unveiled at WWDC

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its also replacing a major feature that apple just introduced on the Mac - touchid. I kind of think apple will want to get the most out of touchid on the mac and keep it around a bit longer. I think they'll want to invest the R&D dollars on implementing it on the iPad before they add it to the Mac.

19. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Yah FaceID make much more sense on the iPad, would love to see it on a new iPas pro as I would like to upgrade my 1st gen iPad Air at some point.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm very happy with my iPad Pro but I do find myself looking at it waiting for it unlock as I'm so used to my iPhone X :p