iPhone X FaceID suddenly not working.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LbSigman, Apr 18, 2018.

1. LbSigman macrumors member

FaceID, for the most part, has worked just fine, never really having a problem with it detecting my face. Since today around 11:00 am PST on 4/18/18, FaceID has not detected my face at all. Reset my phone numerous times, reset FaceID numerous time and it's still having issues. When I try to enable FaceID, it's not even detecting a face and it's asking me to lower and raise my phone.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

How long have you had your iPhone X? Could be hardware related. Slightly unrelated, Are you up-to-date on your iOS software?

3. LbSigman thread starter macrumors member

Everything is up to date. Have had my X since November 2017.

4. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Schedule a Genius appointment. Something is certainly wrong. Especially given since you reset your iPhone and Face ID multiple times and you’re still experiencing problems. If Anything, you’re looking at a warranty device for a replacement.

5. chabig macrumors 603

Test the hardware with an Animoji. Does it work?

6. LbSigman thread starter macrumors member

Animoji seems to be working just fine. It recognizes all of my facial expressions. Unlocking is struggling though.

7. chabig macrumors 603

Then the hardware is ok. I'd reinitialize FaceID next in FaceID & Passcode settings.

8. DoubleFlyaway macrumors 6502a

DoubleFlyaway

Oddly, I’m having exactly the analogous problem with TouchID on my iPP.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I would do an encrypted iTunes back up before you go incase they replace your phone.

10. cane811 macrumors member

Animoji doesn't require the depth sensor or IR. Cover the components with your finger and they still work.

11. chabig macrumors 603

Interesting. It still requires the dot projector though.

12. LbSigman thread starter macrumors member

Phone seems to be working just fine today. Yesterday, I did reset all settings and did an encrypted backup in iTunes. Although my phone had the latest version of iOS, iTunes still downloaded the latest version of iOS and indicated that my phone needed to be updated. After iOS downloaded and updated my phone, I did a restore from my last backup. A few minutes later, my phone also indicated that a carrier update was available. Luckily everything I did yesterday didn't make my Applewatch go all wonky on me.