Faces is HORRIBLE in iPhoto 09'

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by map1978, Feb 2, 2009.

1. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

I'm the biggest iPhoto fan and was stoked for iLife 09'. I am just very disappointed with face detection. It hardly ever works. It's the same person but it always says unknown face :confused: It only works when it is from the same scene, which stinks IMO. Love the idea, but not a success.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way?

2. nippyjun macrumors 65816

It works so so for me. I wansn't expecting it to be perfect but could definitely be better. Hopefully they will update it.

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

hmmm.. for me it recognizes about 7/10 faces... so i am more than happy with that...

4. kwissylawrencek macrumors member

Yeah, it's not very accurate for me either. Buuut I was kind of expecting that, it seems that everyone in my life likes to pull faces in photos :p, so that would mess with the recognition of people i guess.

EDIT: and sunglasses, i think that may have an effect.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's worked brilliantly for the most part for me.

My younger sisters are identical twins and it's correctly picked the correct sister about 70% of the time, even when they're in the same photo. I was gobsmacked because I have trouble telling them apart sometimes.

Sure it asked if a photo of a mate's thumb was a face but hey - easy to fix.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

You need to add more faces or not expect as much. It usually takes 3 or 4 additions per person before it starts to ask me if it is the person, and then it seems to recognize the person.

Also, don't expect it to recognize faces when they're sideways or the photo is blurry.

7. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

I did the same person in 15 photos and I still get unknown face.

Still love the idea so hopefully it can get better with updates.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That's awesome when you think about it.

9. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

You'll always confuse it, to many of one person in different circumstances will blind it,

eg,

me as is
    me with sunglasses on
    me with hat on
    me with snow goggles on
    me wearing a Mickey Mouse mask

it dosent really have a chance.

where as when i "Faced" some ppl who i only have pics from our wedding they were bang on 75% of the time.

10. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Mine worked fine until one of the pictures of my mother-in-law was mistakenly identified as my wife. I called my wife in to show her the mildly humorous occurrence and our iMac hasn't worked since.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It is important to tell iPhoto when it's got someone wrong too (and who it actually is) when you're confirming names.

I also found it was useful to go through and get it to recognise the most common faces in my library first and then try the less regularly photographed people.

I do have one friend though who it just doesn't seem to like - it only picks her up in about 30% of pics whereas with others, it's more like 90%.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

My mom and my sister are constantly identified as any other random members of my family or not recognized at all, even after tagging probably 100-200 photos of each. I have no idea why they're so hard (my mom wears glasses, but it's not like she has some photos with them and some without, she almost always has them on), but it's a bit annoying. Not too bad though, it's only a seconds work to correct generally.

jW

13. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

Wait until you experience the iPhoto bug that will combine a bunch of your Faces folders into one person and hours of work is lost. I really recommend not using Faces until the bug is fixed.

14. cx300 macrumors member

i had the same problem until i realized that after I click a person's face in FACES, at the bottom it says "confirm name" and there you either confirm or deny