'Faces' & 'Places'

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spooky2k, Jan 27, 2009.

1. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Hey all,
    I just installed iLife '09 and had it go through my image library. It didn't pick up a single face of anyone in any photograph. Does anybody else have this problem? (I'm not saying that it doesn't tell me who is who, obviously that needs to be added by me. It just is not picking up faces in photographs for me to tag. Even as I tag faces myself, the 'other photos this person may be in' isn't picking any up).

Also, 'Places' seems rather awkward right now. My hometown is (according to iPhoto) called 'Biglis', even though it is clearly marked as 'Barry' in Google earth (which is correct). Incase anyone is wondering, I'm using an iPhone. My problem is NOT that my library isn't automatically geo-tagged, but that the photos that are geo-tagged have the pin in the right place, but the locations name is 110% wrong). Again, anyone else have this problem?

right now, these features are nice but a huge letdown for me.
    Dan x

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I'm pretty sure you have to start adding in the faces. I mean, how would it know who is who before you select them in an image? Once you do one, it should start to figure out where else they are.

As far as places, most pictures taken, unless taken with the iPhone or some very new cameras, don't have the geo-tagging info in them. You would need to add that manually.

3. rjheys macrumors regular

"Faces" worked really well for me, it found nearly every face in my library, it did take nearly an hour to scan for them all though. I cant get "places" to work on my two macs, it keeps saying I am not connected to the internet.

4. spooky2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

No no, I didn't mean that I wanted it to tag people. It didn't pick up any 'face' as in it did not recognise a single face of anyone (literally - I don't want the names, just for it to go 'this is a face...who is it?', so that I can then label it).

As for it recognising people once I begin to tag...again, nope. 1,500 pictures and it doesn't pick up anything.

As for geo-tagging, I know that it doesn't tag the places automatically unless the camera is compatible (location aware). The camera I'm using is an iPhone camera.

My problem is that the labels it is giving the already geo-tagged photos are very clearly very very wrong. Even when I try to correct them it's getting basic things such as town names very wrong. You can correct the main line in the location, but not the 'area' (slightly greyed out underneath main line).

5. spooky2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mine scanned for about 10 minutes then seems like it gave up! Hmmm...

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

You have to manually identify the faces before they pick it up. Did iLife not find any faces at all?

7. spooky2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope, none. I have to start going through my library tagging the photos/areas of photos manually. Very strange.

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I would try rebuilding your library. Hold down command + option when you start up iphoto. I would guess that there may be an option to re-detect faces in the startup dialog.

10. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I have 11,000 images in my iphoto library. It will be interesting to see what it makes of my images, there must be over 110,000 faces to play with. I installed it and it said it would take 1100 minutes to process the images!

Fun.

11. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

It worked well for me, though I've lots of tidying up to do.

Did you definitely click the faces button at the bottom of the screen? It opens the image in a screen with an option to draw a marquee around faces that haven't been recognised, but there are no editing tools, so if there's red eye, you have to come out, and double click the photo which seems counter intuitive.

12. spooky2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Giving that a go now. Thanks.

13. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I think I understand what the original poster is talking about.

After you install iLife '09, iPhoto will automatically start scanning your entire library to identify faces.....not WHO they are, but it will look at each picture and figure out where the faces themselves are.

For my iPhoto (21,000 items) it took over 2 hours to do.

Once it's done....then you can go into any picture....and you'll see the box around the face with an input area to put in a name. I'm assuming that the original poster means that when he views an image, it doesn't even recognize that a face is there to name.

You mentioned it only took 10 minutes....that seems quick.

Did the rebuild work? I just opened my iPhoto with that but it only has the same rebuild options as before, nothing on faces.

If you make a backup of your iPhoto library and want to test.....I notice within the iPhoto library package there are 2 files related to faces:

faces_blob.db
    faces.db

AGAIN....I have no idea what those are....so I would only try messing with stuff on a copy of your iPhoto library.

Let us know how it goes.

-Kevin

14. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

For the original poster....I just did a test. Again...don't do anything here without backing up your iPhoto library.

- I created a new iPhoto library and imported about 100 photos into it. iPhoto chugged through the initial Faces recognition for about 5 minutes or so (again, only 100 photos).

- I then identified a couple faces.
    - I closed iPhoto.
    - I went into the iPhoto library package and deleted:
    faces_blob.db
    faces.db

- I opened iPhoto again, and it did the initial scan all over again, basically resetting all faces data.

Seems as if faces data is tied to atleast those 2 files. Again....please test this on a backup library (I don't want people screaming at me telling me to not give this advice).

Not sure if it's the correct way to go....but seemed to work for me.

I'm sure sooner or later someone will figure out the hidden prefs to get iPhoto to reset faces data, since Apple didn't include it in the interface.

-Kevin

15. djblaze852002 macrumors newbie

Hey Kevin I just moved those 2 files (faces_blob.db and faces.db) out of my iphoto library and restarted iphoto. Seems to be working well and is currently rebuilding my faces database. This time I will not interrupt it and let t finish before playing around in iphoto. I recommend everyone else let it do its thing as well.

Luis

16. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Cool....let us know how it goes.

I posted a new thread with data on what I think Faces is doing.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=7007848

-Kevin

17. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

I like Barry. It had a fun fair there.

Dw i'n dod o Splott.

18. spooky2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help. I rebuilt the library and that seemed to do the trick, then I sat for a few hours (since my last post) and manually selected all the faces. Grueling work! But alas, it is done. Thanks for the help.

Now to the 'Places' problem. Why does it label places wrong? Why can't you correct the 'area' (you can only correct the first line of the address)
    Dan x

19. sbaudot macrumors newbie

Faces & Places

I'm totally with you on this one. I have EXACTLY the same two problems. I have a 12,000+ iphoto 08 library. After installing iLife'09 I received a message on opening iPhoto 09 that indicated my library needed upgrading to work with the new version. After less that a minute, it started scanning all my pictures for faces. It took approx. 4 hours and in the process I could really see iPhoto detecting which part of each picture was the face. Like you, upon completion of the process, I had NO face on the corkboard I could tag.

With regards to Places - again exactly the same. Some of my pictures have the exact latitude and longitude in the EXIF header. The pin is exactly where it is supposed to be but the name given is a tiny place (not even a village) made of 3 or 4 houses, 2 miles away! I don't live in London, but I don't live in the middle of nowhere either! If Google maps / earth is the backend engine, then why doesn't iPhoto stick to the name provided by Google?

Very frustrating start to iLife'09 - That'll teach me to be an early adopter. Any light you guys can shed on this would be appreciated.

20. chrisli75 macrumors newbie

After iPhoto scans it the Faces WILL BE empty.. You have to go to Events or Photos and pick a picture and press Name :D.

21. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I'll second what chrisli75 said.

During the initial scan....iPhoto is only "detecting" where the face(s) are in each picture.

It's up to you to go into your library and name faces.....in your library:

1) select a picture
    2) double click to show just that picture
    3) with that picture showing, click on the Name button in the bottom toolbar
    4) this will outline the face and allow you to name it.
    5) click Done.

Once you do that, that person will be added to your corkboard. NOW you can go to that person on your corkboard and iPhoto will find more photos that it "thinks" are of that person. You can then confirm/deny.

Repeat these steps for each person in your library. Optionally, when viewing photos in your library, instead of double clicking to view just one photo, you can click on the Name button, and it will put you in the name mode for all the photos.

Basically....iPhoto knows about the faces themselves....you need to tell it who they are to add them to your corkboard.

-Kevin

22. spooky2k thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah, see. My problem was that it did not pick up any faces at all during the initial scan! A re-build of the library did the trick but faces don't appear on the cork board until you begin to tag them in your 'events' or 'photos' areas. I personally think its a huge misstep to not include some kind of 'untagged faces/photos' sort option (so that once you get halfway through your library, you don't have to remember where you were or so that it shows you all the pictures it recognised faces in).

Places is my biggest problem though. It's a very disappointing feature. The place names are completely off even though the pin is in the right place. This means the sorting option (of it looking like the itunes browser) is absolutely useless!

Anyone else find it rather funny that the photos it struggles most with 'faces' in are from the iPhone? Maybe Apple will give the cam an upgrade now! The faces in my SLR cams photos are recognised really really well, but it struggles with the iPhone pics. The quality isn't good enough that the face is well defined against everything else. Oh, the irony. New camera in the next iPhone please Apple?

23. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree about the partial scan. I had to let mine scan my 26+ Gig iPhoto library all night before I could see any faces at all. It would have been nice to be able to operate on whatever faces it found during the first half hour. I'm impressed with the feature so far. The achilles heel is aging. I have baby pictures and young adult pictures and I have them tagged with the same name. There should be some way to note the ages of the people when I tag them so the software doesn't rely on the file date (often set to the default date for many digital cameras).

For Places, I found that if I searched using google, the default place name was whatever google found, ie orlando, fl. However, I could rename the place name and the pin would remain where google left it. It should be easier to add different place tags to pictures within an event. We have one event that covers a several thousand mile train ride and it would be cool to be able to tag multiple photos based on where they were taken. The software seems to only be able to tag photos individually. It also seems to only be able to tag events individually. The only way to tag multiple photos would be to group them in the same event and tag the event. Hopefully this will get cleaned up in a future release.

Overall, I'm very impressed with the new features in iPhoto and these two are among my favorites.

24. sbaudot macrumors newbie

Faces and places

Thanks for the prompt replies on 'faces'. I'll try that tonight.

Any advice on the 'places' issue as re-iterated by spooky2k?

Thanks again

25. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I agree it would be cool to have a feature where you could create a smart album with all photos that iPhoto identified a face, but you haven't tagged it yet.

As it stands, the easiest thing is to go into a person through the Faces screen....and below iPhoto shows you what it thinks are other photos of that person. The problem is, the photos below aren't static. They change each time you click "done"....because iPhoto is supposedly learning and it will rescan.

-Kevin