Facetime and icloud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ifti, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

Will FaceTime be available over the data networks with ios5, or will it continue to be wifi only?

Also, with iCloud, considering I'll only be using it to sync my contacts and calendar, how much data is it really going to consume? I can't see it being too much?

Reason I'm asking is that my current unlimited data tariff has come to an end. I can save almost £15 a month by dropping down to the same tariff but with a 500MB data allowance, or save £10 a month by dropping to a 1GB allowance.

I'm wondering whether I should continue to pay more and have unlimited data? Will anyone really need more then 1GB a month?!

2. Ole55 macrumors newbie

If it's contacts & calendar only, you'll use next to nothing in terms of data usage. Really what dictates what level of data plan you need is going to be 99.9999% how much web-browsing and other data services you use rather than contacts/cal sync.

Don't know if you can access your current stats to find out what your usage actually is? That would help. To give you an idea though, Apple Store guy told me something like 95% of UK users never go over 500Mb, and the average is 350Mb. Course, if you're a power user, you ain't "average". I'd say go with the 1Gb plan to be safe.

3. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

iOS 5 _technically_ allows Facetime to work over 3G, but it's rumored that it might be up to the carriers to activate this feature via their carrier settings

4. Ole55 macrumors newbie

Translation: once they've jacked up their data prices/reduced allowances enough to compensate for what they're going to lose in SMS/MMS revenues because of iMessage, they'll turn it on ;)

5. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

that might go for your US carriers, yeah ;)

i don't think there's any European carrier that even charges for the mobile hotspot function anymore :)

6. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Rang my current provider today and was informed I use on average just over 100MB a month!! lol

I think Im going for the Tesco tariff (500mins, 5000 texts, 1GB data) for £12.50 a month. Considering Ive been paying £35 a month for the past 18 months, its quite a saving!