FaceTime and Ported Number Problem (Help, please?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gdjsnyder, Jun 29, 2010.

1. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Okay, so my boyfriend got an iPhone phone on Thursday morning, but decided not to port his number over as he didn't have the contract information available. Got my iPhone on Friday morning, and then Friday afternoon he ported his number over. We tried FaceTime Friday night but something was wrong with his parents internet connection, so it wouldn't work. Fast forward to Saturday night, he came over and we tried FaceTime, worked perfectly. Then on Sunday, same deal worked perfectly.

Then Monday night we were on a phone call and I pressed the FaceTime button, and I kept getting FaceTime failed after only a few seconds. So I had him FaceTime request me and it worked. So we hung up and I did a direct FaceTime call, it went through with no problems. And he called me directly on FaceTime, no problems. So I didn't think anything of it.

So now last night (Tuesday), I was at his house and I wanted to try and figure out why it wouldn't connect while we were in a voicecall, so I kept trying and everything and it wouldn't. So I did a direct FaceTime call with him, and now I was getting the FaceTime failed message everytime. He can still call me via FaceTime however. So I was freaking out that something was wrong with my phone. And we were at this for about an hour. Finally, about his 20th time calling me, a number came up, not his contact name as had been previously. The number was the number which he had before he ported. Weird. So I directly FaceTimed that number back and it went through. So I tried to do a voicecall to that number, but it said the number was unavailable. And through all of this, he was still able to initiate FaceTime calls with me.

So now this morning his unported number stopped working for me, and his ported number still won't work although he can call me. So I called another friend who has an iPhone 4, no problems what so ever. So it can't be my iPhone. So my boyfriend went to AT&T trying to get a new SIM, but they tested FaceTime with their demo units, and it's all working flawlessly, so they would not give him a new SIM card. It's just weird that everything works except I can't FaceTime him, through a voicecall or FaceTime directly.

Anyone have any advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

2. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

Had the exact same problem. Go to Settings -General -Reset - Reset Network Settings and that should fix it ont he phone that had the ported #. You might have to reset up some settings, but Facetime should work after that.

3. gdjsnyder thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Thanks, but tried that and it didn't work. I should've listed in my first post what we did.

Turned FaceTime off, then rebooted the phone, turned it back on. Reset network settings, on both phones. Actually restored the phones, both of them (created new iPhone, did not restore from backup). Turned all cellular data off, then rebooted the phones. And still nothing. We went through each others settings, very slowly, two times, we both have the exact same settings for everything.

4. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I've been working with Apple and AT&T on the issue. They are all aware of the issue. Seems Apple's servers have not been updated with the ported numbers so Facetime immediately fails every time.

The fix for now is to get a new Micro SIM card. I activated it 1 hour ago and now Facetime works perfectly. Supposedly they're working on a software fix, but if this is really important to you, contact AT&T, explain exactly what's going on and try to elevate it up the chain while you're on the phone. Hopefully, they'll get you in touch with someone who can authorize a new SIM card.

5. gdjsnyder thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Thanks, we will keep trying. But AT&T service number said we has to go to an AT&T store. And my boyfriend went to 3 seperate AT&T stores today, none of them could replicate the problem, so they all refused a new SIM. But thank you for the suggestion, I guess we will keep trying.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

When your at the AT&T store, show them the issue using both your phones. Also, have the AT&T rep initiate Facetime if they make you replicate it on their demo unit. It should fail in both cases, I think.

7. gdjsnyder thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

No that's the thing. We showed them the issue (all 3 stores) on my iPhone. But when they use their demo units, it works perfectly and goes through. They said the issue is with my iPhone and I should return it. However, I really don't see how it can be my iPhone when I've FaceTimed other friends and it works fine with them.

8. androiphone macrumors 65816

wonder why they cant just give you a new sim, they are literally 10 a penny, what is the process if the sim was stolen? say that you put the sim in a dubphone for a party and that phone was stolen/lost, they should be able to cancel your old sim and give you a new one

9. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers