Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JWalker1995

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
anyone else notice FaceTime is a separate app like on the iPod Touch, and not built into the Phone app anymore?

mburton06

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2013
What features are in the facetime standalone app that are different from the one integrated in the phone app?

Does the facetime standalone app come preinstalled, or would I have to download it myself, and would it be removable, like other apps?

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
What features are in the facetime standalone app that are different from the one integrated in the phone app?

Does the facetime standalone app come preinstalled, or would I have to download it myself, and would it be removable, like other apps?

It's preinstalled. I did not try to remove it, I just put it into a folder.

campingsk8er

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2011
Elizabethtown, PA
I did and I find it completely unessasary.

If you think about it, it actually kind of makes sense. Unlike most of us here on MacRumours where we know about the features of the iPhone/iOS, you have to remember majority, or at least a good percentage of the market that buy iPhones/iDevices/iWhateveryouhave aren't that technological. There may be people that don't know FaceTime even exist, so Apple is making it more known, with the addition of its own icon.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Apple made it its own app because according to some consumers they couldn't find FaceTime, and on iPod touch and iPad it is right there, (even though these devices lack the Phone.app)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.