FaceTime App on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tuchy3, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Tuchy3 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I apologize if this has already been addressed, but I wanted to know if there was a FaceTime App for the iPhone that lets you know who is available to FaceTime chat. The Facetime app on the computer has the contacts list next to it, but it still doesn't tell you who is available to facetime, or on their phone connected to a wifi network.

Will apple be fixing this?

Thanks

2. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

FaceTime is not like Facebook where it tells you who is available. With FaceTime you initiate a FaceTime call. It's a video-conference thing as opposed to a chat feature. Same deal on the iMac. Your contact list is just a list. No way to tell who is available or who has the capability to do FaceTime.

I agree, however, that it would be nice to see who is available. I also have no idea if this in in apples future plans.

3. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

To be honest I have no idea but it would make me happy if they bring this to iOS 5 but they may not.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Well since it would be almost impossible for an app to tell when someone is on wifi, unless maybe on the same network, I'd say you will never see anything like that. Their might even be some privacy issues with something like that, say in an office enviorment, where they offer wifi.

If you are indeed talking about people on the same network, there a few apps that will certainly tell you who is logged in and if the device has iPhone in it's name, well you get the idea. In order for any app to be able to alert you that someone is online, everyone would have to "log" in to the app. IMO, it would be much easier to just make the call.

5. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

Doesnt matter if theyre on wifi at the moment. When you make a FT call, it will call the person, taking the phone out of sleep mode and connect to known wifi networks if there are any available. If there is no wifi, the call will not go through.

6. Tuchy3 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree, but if you think about it, when you go to facetime with someone, you can sit there guessing who is on wifi and available to facetime. your just guessing which people can do it, you know. Just my thoughts

7. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

submit it as a feature request on apple.com/feedback i know i will submit. maybe have a little green light next to the facetime icon under the persons address if they are available and a red one if they are away. i kind of hope lion brings facetime to ichat and ios 5 makes an ichat app in it. maybe something to compete with BBM as well. if it does come to lion ichat would need a good overhaul too.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

You are wasting your time....It is impossible for someone in California to tell if someone in Kansas is connected to wifi.

9. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

When they roll out FaceTime over 3G this year everyone will be available all the time! So this would be a useless feature.

10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

What's so hard about calling someone first and asking if they are able to FaceTime?