Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maddan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
Does anyone know any details regarding Apple's license agreement for developing apps on the iPhone 4? Specifically, I need to know whether or not an app is allowed to use the FaceTime function within it. Just as an example, let's say one creates an app where you pay (or not) to talk to a person using FaceTime (let's say ChatRoulette-like, but with an actual purpose); is that permissible?

Please let me know, and thanks in advance!

e-dard

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2009
As far as I am aware the protocol for FaceTime will be made public, thus Apple are interested in FaceTime applications. However, they also have a policy of not allowing applications on the app store that duplicate functionality of their own applications, so it would depend exactly on what the app would do.

Either way, the API is not available yet for facetime (as far as I know).

maddan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2008
As far as I am aware the protocol for FaceTime will be made public, thus Apple are interested in FaceTime applications. However, they also have a policy of not allowing applications on the app store that duplicate functionality of their own applications, so it would depend exactly on what the app would do.

Either way, the API is not available yet for facetime (as far as I know).

Thank you! You hit the nail on the head regarding what I may or may not be. :p I think I can move forward with that information. Thanks again!

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Would it eventually be possible for say AIM to use this to enable video chat in their IM client?

I want to video chat to a Mac damnit.

ynotm

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2009
Would it eventually be possible for say AIM to use this to enable video chat in their IM client?

I want to video chat to a Mac damnit.

facetime wouldn't be necessary or even the best solution for this. They just need to update the app to support the front facing camera, they can then use their own video protocols to do the chat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.