Facetime bandwidth

Discussion in 'iPad' started by drambuie, Nov 30, 2011.

1. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have a handle on how much bandwidth the iPad 2 uses for the two way stream in a Facetime connection, in MB per minute? It would be useful to know before trying a Facebook communication with a 3G connection.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I forget the exact data rate, but it isn't much. It's low enough that it can work over a poor 3G connection though. But I've never gotten it to work over EDGE.

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

4. drambuie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. That's not bad for the quality of the video. I made my first Facetime call yesterday and found the incoming video to be fairly smooth for 1.5MB/min.

5. tips macrumors member

Was that over 3G ?, , if so, Sprint/ATT or Verizon ?.

6. drambuie thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was on WiFi. I don't have the 3G active yet, as I am still deciding on a carrier and plan. Here, in Canada the iPads come unlocked. You obtain and install a micro-SIM for the carrier of your choosing, then activate it. You are free to cancel and change carriers at any time.

7. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

lucky canada....

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

9. tips macrumors member

Yes, I think they are unlocked
    But they are either GSM(ATT,TMOBILE+... or CDMA(verizon,sprint,+..) in USA.

----------

How to measure bandwidth ?.

10. codyc1515 macrumors member

Nope:

"Apple appears to have reversed course in Japan on a key feature of its iPad 3G: It won't offer a version capable of being used with different cellular carriers there."

"All Japanese models will be SIM-locked to Softbank Mobile, Apple's iPhone partner in Japan, Apple said late Monday. The company confirmed the presence of a SIM lock but couldn't immediately explain why it was enforcing the restriction in Japan."

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/195923/apple_to_simlock_japanese_ipads.html