Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
In about 5 months i'll be moving to Japan for a few months (4) and am seriously considering the iPod Touch.

I have a MBP and am wondering if there'd be any way to video chat with my MBP in Japan, facetiming with say my folks' who are residing in California.

Obviously if I had an iPod Touch along with them we'd be able to facetime from different continents but am curious about that iPod Touch>to>MacBook (or any webcam computer) compatibility.

*As a side note i'll mention whats running through my mind right now:

Considering i'm gonna be living over in Japan for a while and wanting to video chat with family, i'd be willing to rid my iPad for 2 new iPod Touches..so they'd each have one. This is really only a consideration cause the old dinosaur laptops my parents have don't even have web cams, or even more than a gig of RAM.

Sigh, ah thoughts.

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
In about 5 months i'll be moving to Japan for a few months (4) and am seriously considering the iPod Touch.

I have a MBP and am wondering if there'd be any way to video chat with my MBP in Japan, facetiming with say my folks' who are residing in California.

Obviously if I had an iPod Touch along with them we'd be able to facetime from different continents but am curious about that iPod Touch>to>MacBook (or any webcam computer) compatibility.

*As a side note i'll mention whats running through my mind right now:

Considering i'm gonna be living over in Japan for a while and wanting to video chat with family, i'd be willing to rid my iPad for 2 new iPod Touches..so they'd each have one. This is really only a consideration cause the old dinosaur laptops my parents have don't even have web cams, or even more than a gig of RAM.

Sigh, ah thoughts.

You can't use facetime to call a macbook from an iPod touch but Fring should do what you need.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
You can't use facetime to call a macbook from an iPod touch but Fring should do what you need.

A bit confused here.

So my folks' have a facetime ipod touch, of which they open the fring app to video chat with me...

..using what service though? Google Voice? Skype isn't supported anymore..

Satori

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2006
London
A bit confused here.

So my folks' have a facetime ipod touch, of which they open the fring app to video chat with me...

..using what service though? Google Voice? Skype isn't supported anymore..

Sorry I wasn't clear...

Fring will work with services like MSN and AIM as well as Google Voice.

joe1946

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
fring Version 3.3.1.2 for Retina display

http://itunes.apple.com/app/fring/id290948830?mt=8

mzl.verjfqbg.320x480-75.jpg

Brewstermax

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008

I do forsee such compatibility in OS X 10.7, however, that could be some time in the future, and I do not know what your plans are. FaceTime is an open standard, anyone can access it. But, as of now, only iPod touch and iPhone are FaceTime compatible.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Have they improved on the Fring service since they started video conferencing on the iPhone? Because when they started it a while ago, I used my iPhone 4 on wifi to chat with my sister on a MacBook Pro on wifi and the video quality was horrendous.

Edit: and I don't think it was my connection speed because I also tried FaceTiming with an Apple rep right after and the quality was like night and day.

Guiguiga

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2009
Ft. Lauderdale - FL
YOU should be able to make skype calls throughout all platforms and devices that support skype. I'm also hoping I can install skype on the touch and use its camera as well.

ct95

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Facetime is not possible to a Mac, but I imagine it has to be coming soon, probably within the next several months to a year? If not, there's gotta be an app for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.