Facetime between my Apple Hardware

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by conamor, Oct 30, 2014.

1. conamor macrumors 6502

conamor

Good day,

I was wondering if there was any easy way to communicate via facetime between my iMac, MBP, iPad and iPhone.

Of course they all use the same ID since they are mine but sometime my wife is at home and we would like to use Facetime. Do I have to create another ID (email address) for facetime or there is an easier way?

Thanks

:I am sure that this was asked before but could not find a link.

2. octothorpe8 macrumors 6502

I don't believe so. A workaround for the Macs would be to set up a second user account on the machine, and sign that in under a different Apple ID. Then when you go to set up the Facetime call, you just need to be signed in under different accounts. In OS X, you can switch very quickly and easily with Fast User Switching right from the menu bar. I have this exact setup for my daughter and it works great.

There's no such user switching on iOS, unfortunately (which is a shame because it would be an excellent use of Touch ID). I do think you could use an alternate Apple ID to sign in to, say, the iPad and then designate that as a member of your "family" so that you don't have to repurchase all your apps.

3. conamor thread starter macrumors 6502

conamor

Thank you :)

I think that I will create aliases from an email. That might be the easiest way.