Facetime blocked at work

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by plinden, Jun 25, 2010.

1. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Gah ... worked from home yesterday, got into work today, tracked down another iPhone 4 owner, and found IT has blocked Facetime.

Fair enough ... I would do the same if I were in the IT department, but I still haven't managed to try it out.

2. zacharace macrumors member

Rob Perrago of the Washington Post had the same problem...great IT departments think alike I guess :rolleyes:.

Good luck trying it out, though. FaceTime is simply amazing--maybe even magical :D.

3. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

It's not that they are explicitly "blocking Facetime", most companies simply block all ports but the standard web ports, 80 and 443.

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

I don't know what the network configuration is, but many corporate networks use proxies that only allow these ports.

More open configurations that allow any OUTGOING traffic but only allow specific INCOMING traffic need to have uPnP configured, or it might not work. Without uPnP enabled the router needs to be specific configured to forward certain ports to the specific IP address of the iPhone, which can cause problem when the IP is dynamic.

5. plinden thread starter macrumors 68040

plinden

You're probably right - I didn't think of that. We don't allow any traffic to non-80/443 ports on WiFi that's not via a VPN. Ah well. Maybe when the IT director gets his iPhone 4 this will loosen up.