Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Strange thing happened tonight, on my iMac I have Messages and FaceTime running, waiting for a call from my friend. On my home network I was working separately on my MacBook Air (which has neither application running currently) when all of a sudden a FaceTime call comes through to the MBA. Strange, because FaceTime isn't running on my MBA, why is it receiving a call that my iMac isn't? I decline the call, and then I'm not able to call back from my iMac, where I have FaceTime already running. I keep trying, I try and launch a FaceTime call from within Messages (from my iMac), where Messages is *only* running (as is FaceTime), but I keep getting the message that the other user isn't available. Finally, I launch FaceTime on my MBA and call my friend and it connects immediately and all if fine, but my FaceTime call is on my MBA and not on my desktop.

I've been trying to figure out why and have searched the google-machine to no avail and tried a quick search on here, but haven't found anything. There must be something obvious I'm missing, anyone? Apologies if this is obvious or known and I've just asked the same stupid question again-again, many thanks for any help you can provide!

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
Facetime doesn't have to be running to accept a call. Regarding 2 machines on the same network with the same account, that I don't know.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Facetime doesn't have to be running to accept a call.

Is that true? Why then when I had only one machine (this laptop is new), my friends and family could not call me when I didn't have FaceTime running on my iMac??

Last edited:

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
I don't know what to say except that it would defeat the purpose of FaceTime if it had to be running to get an incoming call. Perhaps something was funky with your previous setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.