FaceTime Calling

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by RAD1, Jun 8, 2015.

1. RAD1 macrumors newbie

I'm somewhat unclear on what FaceTime calling brings to the Apple Watch in 2.0. Will you have the ability to make a call without the iPhone when you're on Wi Fi, or is it simply that incoming calls are clearer?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Hmm yes, I would think that you could make FaceTime calls without your phone when on wifi. But to me the advantage of FaceTime calls is that it counts as data, not calling minutes -- my cellular plan has unlimited data, but I only get a small number of phone calls per month. Also handy when calling people out of country. No international calling fee.

3. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

I would expect this to be the case as well. You can already send and receive iMessages when you're on a known wifi network if the paired iPhone is not around, so it stands to reason that FaceTime calls would work similarly.

I'm really excited for this feature actually. I'll sometimes make FaceTime calls just because the call quality is so much higher than a regular cellular phone call.

Tuck

4. eattherich macrumors 6502

eattherich

Have you tried making a FaceTime Audio call from your Watch? It doesn't let you right now as you need to do it from your iPhone. From how I understand it, with watchOS 2, you'll be able to start those calls from the Watch (regardless of whether you want to actually have them on your Watch with the small mic/speaker or your iPhone). I used FaceTime Audio a lot and when I first got the Watch I was disappointed to see that I couldn't say "Hey Siri, FaceTime Audio..." as I used to do on my iPhone.

5. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Yeah, right now FaceTime Audio calls aren't supported at all on the watch, but I was saying that when they are enabled (in WatchOS 2), I bet you'll be able to make one without an iPhone, as long as you're on a previously connected wifi network.

Tuck