Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Original poster
Oct 29, 2010
Hello, I am wondering which has the better FaceTime camera: the iPad Pro or the MacBook Pro? I sold my MacBook Pro a year ago and cannot compare the two. Just curious. Thanks

Hym tix

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
LOL, if only Apple made an effort with the MacBook Pro webcam. It’s pathetic. It has a 1 MP camera that does 720p video... same camera since 2011.

Pretty much any recent iPad or iPhone FaceTime camera will be far better for video calls.

Reactions: TofSanity

kindaichi81

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2015
Hello, I am wondering which has the better FaceTime camera: the iPad Pro or the MacBook Pro? I sold my MacBook Pro a year ago and cannot compare the two. Just curious. Thanks

seriously for macbook pro, the 720p camera will not be a bummer.

it is more likely people to do face time call on their iphones/ipads than on macbook pro.

chrizzz09

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Germany
iPad is miles better.
Actually the MacBook Pro webcam even though it stayed at 720p for years now, was better back on the old retina MacBook Pro form factor (2012-2015) than the current 2016+ ones. I compared my 2013 13“ MBP Facetime camera with my 2018 15“ one and the 2013 one looks soo much better, I couldn’t actually believe that what a downgrade it is.
But yeah, ipad is beating both on camera quality no contest

Nuno Guimarães

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2020
Hi! First of all, sorry for my English!

It seems that here are people that are pro in Mac. So, I would like to ask if someone can help me with a problem.

I can't use the camera of my MacBook Pro. All the programs I ran which uses the camera says the same thing - There is no camera...

I've tried to use the terminal with the commands:

sudo killall VDCAssistant

sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant

Don't work!

I've tried to shutdown and restart taping command+Alt+P+R

Don't work!

I need to do some videoconference meetings ando don't know what to do.

Any help? Please!!!

sbrunner

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2015
There are mountains, large mountains, in-between the Facetime camera on iPad Pro/iPhone and MBP. The camera in the MBP did not change in 10+ years - and seriously sucks. Many users do not realize how bad it is, bc they are being called from an iPhone and just pick up on the Mac. Thanks to Covid Zoom-mania we have good comparison of actual real-world performance. I have a MBP 16" 2019 and an iPad Pro 3 as well as iPhone 12 Pro as comparison with a 40 Mbps uplink. iPad Pro picture is crisp and looks awesome when connected to a big-screen TV. MBP camera is not just low resolution but also very grainy and does not deal well with low light, meaning normal room lighting. I have tried to mitigate this with a Webcam and compared the new Anker C300 as well as the Razer Kiyo Pro (need Webcam Settings from AppStore), and they are also nowhere close in quality to the iPad Pro 3 and iPhone 12 cameras, which I find on par. I find in everyday use that the camera if iPhone 8 and later beats most Webcams. The regular (education) iPads also suck on the camera, while the iPad Air 3 (and later), iPad mini 5, and Pro 2 (and later) all offer 1080p cameras with sensor resolution between 7 MP and 12 MP so that digital zoom is not being down sampled. All the consumer Webcams I have seen are advertised with the sensor resolution. Eg the Anker C300 is advertised as 1080p, but unless you have a large conference room, you end up with a 78 FOV and a resolution of 806p which is marginally better than what you have on the MBP (low light performance and color rendering may still make the Anker worth a buy). I have not tested the Logitech Brio, yet. With its 4k sensor it should allow for digital zoom without downsampling 1080p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.