FaceTime camera not working on 2012 13" MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Frankied22, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

I am using a 2012 13" MBA with the i7, 256GB SSD, and 8GB RAM and the other day I went to use my camera and it wasn't working at all. At first I thought it was just because I was using Hangouts and in Mavericks now you have to allow it access in the system settings but the camera is not working in Photobooth either. When I launch Photobooth the green light comes on but either the picture is black, green, or a jumbled mess. I have tried restarting the computer and testing it again and a couple times the green light wouldn't even come on, and still no video feed. The last time I used the camera was probably a couple months after I bought the device. Unfortunately, I am out of my 1 year warranty. I am just curious if this is a hardware failure or software related due to Mavericks? Does anyone have any ideas?

2. jadAce macrumors regular

jadAce

If you didn't accidentally damage the hardware (through a spill or something), this could just be a software issue. There was having something similar going on with the 2013 MBAs but this was on Mountain Lion, so not sure how applicable it would be to Mavericks.