Facetime Camera vs iChat (Examples)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by SashaFierce, Nov 10, 2010.

1. SashaFierce Guest

SashaFierce

I took pictures of myself with my MacBook Air Facetime camera(right) and with my MacBook Pro iChat camera(left). I've noticed that they are quite similar. However the MacBook Pro pictures seem to be shot at a higher resolution and size. Which one do you guys think is better?
    [​IMG]

2. ingramLee macrumors regular

umm, actually, they are both called iSight cameras ;)

3. bamf macrumors 6502

The MBA now has a "FaceTime" camera.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/features.html

It's lower quality than the old iSight cameras - most likely due to the thinner screen.

4. SashaFierce thread starter Guest

SashaFierce

5. ingramLee macrumors regular

6. bamf macrumors 6502

Yes, I agree. Still though, I think it's pretty obvious that the cameras are lower quality now.

7. ingramLee macrumors regular

I am indifferent, I barely video chat anyway :cool: I can say though that the 27" iMac iSight cam is the most crystal clear webcam I have ever owned, phenominally better than my last iMac. I obviously wouldnt expect the same quality in a Macbook Air.

8. nfl46 macrumors 603

Lol. Beyonce is on MacRumors. Wow! I didn't know she posts. (sarcasm)

9. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

somebody handle business and put a ring on it

10. billy baxton macrumors newbie

lol. 2 others beat me to it. but I'm pretty sure you get the zzzzomg its beyonce! comments all the time... so yea... zomg its beyonce!!

11. SashaFierce thread starter Guest

SashaFierce

Yes I definitely do... all the time:)

12. billy baxton macrumors newbie

send me your ichat contact info, k thx bye

13. NintendoFan macrumors regular

They both look about the same. If anything the one of the left is a bit crisper.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you try the same comparison in a "less-than-well-lighted" situation, the Air looks horrible.

Using Photo Booth, it's super grainy, and there are waves that buzz across the screen.

15. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

Not only that, but the MBA manual still refers to them as 'iSight' camera.

16. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

LMAO, perfect post!

17. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Hmmm... Kind of hard to tell. Why don't you post a few more pictures of yourself so we can be sure which camera is better :cool:. Maybe a few in low light, perhaps even warm candle light. You know, just to be sure.

18. Leo Fischel macrumors newbie

@SashaFierce: Lol, nice joke - especially because there are really folks who answering seriously :D

19. BENJMNS macrumors 6502

BENJMNS

f that

give us some daisy dukes and a bikini shot to start (dip it low, work it up slow)

20. ingramLee macrumors regular

Holy hell, I was at working posting before and didnt even see that I was talking to Beyonce the whole time :D

21. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

I did an iChat Video Preview on a 2010 MacBook Pro 17" and a 2010 MacBook Air 13".

I was a low light situation. The MacBook Pro handled it better (less graininess, better focus, better contrast and brightness). So it's not just about resolution. The MacBook Air is a downgrade in overall quality of the iChat/FaceTime session.

22. aleni macrumors 68020

is that really beyonce? that's cool! now let me invite Jay-Z to macrumors too.

23. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I agree. It's definitely lower grade, and I might (or maybe I am just seeing things) say that the 11.6" MBA's camera is worse! However, it could be the angle differences since I set it in the same position but it's shorter.

Hey, "Sasha Fierce." Now be honest, you knew us computer geeks would all go crazy when you posted those shots didn't you? Sorry about the rudeness of one. BTW, isn't Sasha Fierce the "alter ego" of Beyonce? Didn't she say that she was changing her name to Sasha Fierce at one point?

Back to the forum purpose, which computer do you enjoy more all around, MBA or MBP? Is the MBA your primary Mac? Just curious as I am getting all sorts of different opinions from my friends and colleagues who have bought new MBAs.

24. MacRuler macrumors 6502

thats beyonce! :eek: im a huge fan. if thats really you can i get a "hi"? lmao

25. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Should be obvious since Beyonce already wrote a song about this. The better picture is the one...

To the left
    To the left

:)

But kidding aside, the pic on the left is slightly less grainy than the one on the right.