Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Is it a FaceTime issue, a Mac issue, or just me? If I don't reboot regularly, my FaceTime calls are horrific. The connection just does not last. I can even see the green light on the camera going off and on.

Anyone familiar with this? Is it fixable, or just weird?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
What machine?
What OS X version?
Has it always been like this or did it start recently?
Have you tried logging in with another account and seeing if it is the same? Have you re-installed the OS?
What does "horrific" mean in the context of a video phone call?

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
MBP, late 2013 (just like it says in my sig) model with latest Yosemite updates.

It has not always been like this. I used to do all my FT on the Mac because it was so much better, but lately I'd rather do FT on my iPad.

Horrific means every 30 seconds you get the "reconnecting" message, and I know it's because of my Mac. This doesn't happen after a reboot.

I only have the one iCloud account, and since FT is the only problem, it didn't seem to warrant reinstalling the os.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Try creating another account on your Mac and logging in with that, then logging into FT and see if it is still the same.

Also try looking at Activity Monitor and posting a screenshot here of the CPU tab, sorted highest at the top so we can see what else is going on.

In between "reconnecting" is the call quality fine?

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
After looking at the activity monitor, it looks like I have the dreaded kernel_task problem. (Yes, I've also had my fan run crazy a few times recently.) I read the entire thread on changing the .kext file, but couldn't even find the file...so I quickly gave up on that.

I may be forced to just shut down nightly for a few weeks, until I can plan a trip to the nearest Apple store and let them address it.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
After looking at the activity monitor, it looks like I have the dreaded kernel_task problem. (Yes, I've also had my fan run crazy a few times recently.) I read the entire thread on changing the .kext file, but couldn't even find the file...so I quickly gave up on that.

I may be forced to just shut down nightly for a few weeks, until I can plan a trip to the nearest Apple store and let them address it.

I would re-install the OS, you can do that without losing your account or data files but it will re-write all the OS files, if there is one causing this then that may straighten it out. Genius Bar may wipe clean and re-install so have a backup of your data before you go in...

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Thanks Simon! You've given me lots to think about. (Fortunately, it will be at least a month before I can get to an Apple store, since there isn't one anywhere near me, despite my being in Tim Cook's home town!

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Thanks Simon! You've given me lots to think about. (Fortunately, it will be at least a month before I can get to an Apple store, since there isn't one anywhere near me, despite my being in Tim Cook's home town!

Fingers crossed you get it sorted :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.