• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google Duo, Google's cross-platform FaceTime-style video calling app, was today updated with a new video messages feature that's designed to allow users to leave video voicemails whenever someone doesn't pick up a call.

Google says that if a person you're calling declines or misses your call, you can record up to 30 seconds of video (or voice) to send to the person. Video messages can be played in the Duo app by tapping on the sender's icon, and a quick call back can be done through the "Call now" button available after watching a video message.

All video messages will disappear one day after they were first watched, but can be saved to the iPhone's camera roll if so desired.
Sometimes, your mom isn't free for a video call at the moment you're trying to show off your culinary masterpiece. The same goes when you're trying to catch your best friend to rave about your favorite basketball team's recent win. But even if they miss your call, you shouldn't lose the opportunity to show them what you were calling about. Beginning today on Google Duo, you can leave a video message when the person you're calling can't pick up.
First introduced in August of 2016, Google Duo works on both iOS and Android devices. Users sign up with a phone number and can then place calls to any contacts who also have the Duo app installed. Google Duo, like Google Hangouts, another Google video app with a more enterprise focus, has been fairly popular since it launched.

Duo is consistently within the top 20 free apps in the Social Networking section of the U.S. App Store, and with the new release, it's sitting at the number 15 spot.

Video messaging is available today in the Google Duo apps for Android and iOS. [Direct Link]

Article Link: FaceTime Competitor Google Duo Gains New Video Messages Feature

Bswails

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2016
Anyone who has given any serious thought to the future of video calling has thought about this. Apple could have easily implemented this technology years ago (wow, a voicemail but video :eek:). Leave it to second-rate competitors to finally make it happen first...

The term “visual voicemail” was made popular by Apple if I’m not mistaken. HOW ON EARTH did they miss making this an actual thing on FaceTime I’ll never know

Reactions: Wide opeN
Comment

CapnAwesome

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2018
The term “visual voicemail” was made popular by Apple if I’m not mistaken. HOW ON EARTH did they miss making this an actual thing on FaceTime I’ll never know

You’ve been able to send videos via the imessages for years... I don’t see how this is that significant of an improvement from that.

Comment

FrankCostello

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2016

Google Duo, Google's cross-platform FaceTime-style video calling app, was today updated with a new video messages feature that's designed to allow users to leave video voicemails whenever someone doesn't pick up a call.

Google says that if a person you're calling declines or misses your call, you can record up to 30 seconds of video (or voice) to send to the person. Video messages can be played in the Duo app by tapping on the sender's icon, and a quick call back can be done through the "Call now" button available after watching a video message.

All video messages will disappear one day after they were first watched, but can be saved to the iPhone's camera roll if so desired.First introduced in August of 2016, Google Duo works on both iOS and Android devices. Users sign up with a phone number and can then place calls to any contacts who also have the Duo app installed. Google Duo, like Google Hangouts, another Google video app with a more enterprise focus, has been fairly popular since it launched.

Duo is consistently within the top 20 free apps in the Social Networking section of the U.S. App Store, and with the new release, it's sitting at the number 15 spot.

Video messaging is available today in the Google Duo apps for Android and iOS. [Direct Link]

Article Link: FaceTime Competitor Google Duo Gains New Video Messages Feature

Love Duo! Looking forward to a feature like this for a long time. So much better than FaceTime. (iPhone owner since iPhone 2G)

Comment

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
iMessage isn’t FaceTime.

And recording a video for someone to watch later isn't FaceTime either. :p

I see your point though. If you call someone via FaceTime and they don't answer... you can't currently leave a video message from inside the FaceTime call.

But if you have someone's FaceTime address... you also have their iMessage address.

So if you absolutely must leave a video message... it's possible. You'll just have to use the other Apple communication app, iMessage.

Personally... the number of FaceTime calls I've initiated I could count on one hand. And I don't think any of those calls have been so important that I felt the need to leave a video message.

I guess I'm not the target market for "video mail"... :)

Comment

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
I think a more practical application of this would be something like voicemail for FaceTime audio.

Comment

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Anyone who has given any serious thought to the future of video calling has thought about this. Apple could have easily implemented this technology years ago (wow, a voicemail but video :eek:). Leave it to second-rate competitors to finally make it happen first...

Didn't Google release like 20 different messaging apps to compete with iMessage and FaceTime?

Comment

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
Annoying people with 30 s..e ....c ......o.......n..........d.........s of VIDEO SPAM.

Well thought-out idea, Google makes the world getting harder...

Last edited:
Comment

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
This is cute but until Android makes Duo part of the OS on all recent devices it's not going to have enough users to stop people using other apps.
Won't happen. Android won't contain commercial, closed source software.

Many device manufacturers are bundling it, along with the other Google software suite, though!

Reactions: AngstyKylo
Comment

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014

Ouch! You've got some tough nuts, there!
[doublepost=1520515821][/doublepost]
Wasn't FaceTime supposed to go cross platform at one point?

Yes, until Apple realized that not making it crosss platform was all that was needed to keep you"in the family".

Reactions: Geerad
Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
How many messaging apps has Google released over the past few years and how many has it killed?

I was about to ask this very question. Google seems to release a bunch of different versions of their same software/hardware offering. And abandon them just as quickly. Weird.

Comment

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
How many messaging apps has Google released over the past few years and how many has it killed?

Well, there was Talk, that morphed into Hangouts. Google account required. This is their primary messaging platform. Integrated into Gmail. Accessible everywhere.

Then they released their mobile-only suit, Duo (Video) and Allo (Text) that's based on phone number... no Google account required. Supposed to be for the Everyman and simple, a la WhatsApp, iMessage+FaceTime.

Then they have their slack competitor, Hangouts Chat and Meet, which is geared toward a different market (G suite clients... a la Microsoft Teams, Facebook Work, Hipchat, etc.). Shouldn't really be lumped into their other products- it's for workplaces.

I don't know which they've killed. I hope that answers your question!

Last edited:
Comment

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ah no. Was made popular by network infrastructure used by carriers. The system was called ICE yet didn’t sell well due to outrages billing costs so they settled on visual voicemail.
[doublepost=1520533200][/doublepost]
Annoying people with 30 s..e ....c ......o.......n..........d.........s of VIDEO SPAM.

Well thought-out idea, Google makes the world getting harder...

But you forgot the forced 5 second google ad you must watch before the video message plays ;) !

Comment

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
Wasn't FaceTime supposed to go cross platform at one point?

I wonder what sort of analytics have Apple found out from Apple Music on Android!?

It does seem like, some apps would benefit from being cross platform.
[doublepost=1520700829][/doublepost]
Won't happen. Android won't contain commercial, closed source software.

Can you expound!?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.