Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
All,

after upgrading to 13.4 on my iPhone Pro 11 and iPad Pro I have noticed the battery drains much quicker now. I have also noticed that if I initiate a FaceTime video call it never connects and the end user has to call me to establish connection. Anyone else seeing this?

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
DFU Restore clean install fixed FaceTime issue. Will have to see on battery.

Fustnd1

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2020
When you'll update your phone and restored, can you describe your experiences with battery 13.4 after? I have same problem with my ip 11 pro max on iOS 13.3.1..

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
So previously on 13.3.1 my iPhone 11 Pro would maybe be at 75% at the end of the workday. My usage isn't very heavy mostly music, home security apps, texting, emails, phone calls, and some FaceTime sprinkled in. After I updated the first time to 13.4 battery was down to like 40%. My better half complained that her phone was about to die as well and battery life was an afterthought before.

After DFU restore clean install, the jury is still out. My usage has changed though as now I throw in MS Teams and Webex Meetings into the mix. I'm sitting at 77% right now after a few meetings and a FaceTime video call.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
I am thinking about starting from scratch with 13.4 since my battery life has been crap own 13.4. However since I am enrolled in Apple's research programs, starting over doesn't put me back to where I started with the research app. I have to enroll all over again and start from the beginning. I'm using an iPhone X and it does get warm compared to before. It gets warm with Safari.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I am thinking about starting from scratch with 13.4 since my battery life has been crap own 13.4. However since I am enrolled in Apple's research programs, starting over doesn't put me back to where I started with the research app. I have to enroll all over again and start from the beginning. I'm using an iPhone X and it does get warm compared to before. It gets warm with Safari.

After DFU restore my phone doesn't heat up like it did on 13.4 before I did DFU. I didn't restore data either, started as new.

lgjay

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2019
How’s your battery doing after the DFU restore?
13.4 is not doing well battery wise on my devices as well, considering doing resets.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
Seems like it is holding up. Currently at 91% after taking it off the charger at 7:30am

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Just reporting my experience too. Battery performance is the same as before. This was OTA update.

I’ve charged to 100% more than 24 hours ago and it is at 45% with 3 hours and 53 minutes of screen time.

No issues.

fe9acaf25d56630d7e54cbfb6ea95f8b.jpg

MinkyMomo

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
California, USA
I'm seeing the rapid battery drain issue too on my iPhone SE, updated OTA from 13.3.1. Will attempt a reset+restore...

UPDATE: After doing a full erase and restore, the issue appears to have been alleviated, if not totally resolved...

UPDATE #2: Perhaps it's been Siri all along-- I disabled "Hey, Siri" and so far, so good...

Last edited:

Magnus Wehus

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2020
I had massive battery drain on 13.4 on my iPhone 11 Pro. Tried to downgrade to 13.3.1, but only got unknown error message (1) while trying to restore. Tried to download the iOS file twice, tried different cables. Get the same message every time. Anybody else having the same issue?

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I had massive battery drain on 13.4 on my iPhone 11 Pro. Tried to downgrade to 13.3.1, but only got unknown error message (1) while trying to restore. Tried to download the iOS file twice, tried different cables. Get the same message every time. Anybody else having the same issue?

where did you get the ipsw file? Maybe it’s corrupt?

Magnus Wehus

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2020
where did you get the ipsw file? Maybe it’s corrupt?

I got it from the ipsw site. Was not aware that was an illegal site, so I got a warning when I posted a link here. Where are we supposed to download the files from?

Anyway it seems like the drainage has stopped. What I did was to install the 13.4 from the installation file instead of over the air download on the iphone. Also turned off Siri. Now the phone isnt getting hot anylonger while watching youtube or surfing. Also battery was still on the same % when I woke up this morning as when I went to bed. Dont know if its because of the installation method or if its Siri. Will turn on siri tonight and test.

Ananthan Subramaniam

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2020
no, battery still appears to drain fast. May drop down to 13.3.1 and stay there.

How do you downgrade?
[automerge]1585672074[/automerge]
So previously on 13.3.1 my iPhone 11 Pro would maybe be at 75% at the end of the workday. My usage isn't very heavy mostly music, home security apps, texting, emails, phone calls, and some FaceTime sprinkled in. After I updated the first time to 13.4 battery was down to like 40%. My better half complained that her phone was about to die as well and battery life was an afterthought before.

After DFU restore clean install, the jury is still out. My usage has changed though as now I throw in MS Teams and Webex Meetings into the mix. I'm sitting at 77% right now after a few meetings and a FaceTime video call.
Sorry what do you mean by DFU restore clean install?

Last edited:

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I'm seeing the rapid battery drain issue too on my iPhone SE, updated OTA from 13.3.1. Will attempt a reset+restore...

UPDATE: After doing a full erase and restore, the issue appears to have been alleviated, if not totally resolved...

UPDATE #2: Perhaps it's been Siri all along-- I disabled "Hey, Siri" and so far, so good...

What made you look at Hey Siri? Does that even show up under battery usage?

Lucas284

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2018
Netherlands
Just reporting my experience too. Battery performance is the same as before. This was OTA update.

I’ve charged to 100% more than 24 hours ago and it is at 45% with 3 hours and 53 minutes of screen time.

No issues.

fe9acaf25d56630d7e54cbfb6ea95f8b.jpg
I see in your signature you have the XR. 45% with ~4H of OST is really bad in XR terms. Your used apps are not the cause of it.

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
I see in your signature you have the XR. 45% with ~4H of OST is really bad in XR terms. Your used apps are not the cause of it.

I charge my phone every two days, I’d hardly call that bad… 4 hours of screen time with 45% is like 7 hours with 0% also…

My used apps and the fact that the phone is on for more than 24h without charging is the cause of it.

After every software update people are complaining about battery life.

Reactions: Lucas284

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I charge my phone every two days, I’d hardly call that bad… 4 hours of screen time with 45% is like 7 hours with 0% also…

My used apps and the fact that the phone is on for more than 24h without charging is the cause of it.

After every software update people are complaining about battery life.

The complaing doesn't mean that a problem doesn't exists. Just like your attitude of "everything works fine for me so there isn't really a problem" doesn't prove everything is fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.