FaceTime does not work over Bluetooth

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by BeyondtheTech, Jun 24, 2010.

1. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Just something to note. I had a Bluetooth earpiece (Plantronics 925) and was in a voice call with my wife on her iPhone 4. When I initiated FaceTime and it transitioned over, it dropped the Bluetooth audio and reverted to the onboard speaker and microphone. With FaceTime's simplified GUI, there's nothing to switch the audio back to the headset, and tapping my button on my earpiece did nothing.

FYI, I also tried this with wired headphones and the audio continued on the headphones properly (didn't go into speakerphone mode).

Looks like Apple doesn't really like, care, or know Bluetooth much or enough to implement AVRCP for controlling playback, or using Bluetooth audio for non telephony purposes. :(

2. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

Submit to apple

apple.com/feedback

Will mostly get fixed

3. BeyondtheTech thread starter macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

4. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Did a search and found this thread, I figured out last night to my dismay that bluetooth headsets don't work with facetime. I also submitted feedback to apple so I hope they resolve the issue.

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Same here on my Jawbone Icon. I'll report it to Apple.

6. SaintsMac macrumors 6502a

I asked Apple about BlueTooth over FaceTime during my FaceTime call with them. They told me it would not work and they did not offer any assurance that it would anytime soon.

7. txoilgas macrumors newbie

Still does not work

Purchased my iphone 4 yesterday. Found out today that bluetooth and Face time still do not work together. :(

8. mhdena macrumors 6502

They've known from the beginning facetime and blutooth won't work, I found out back in June.

9. arthertbc0702 macrumors member

Facetime works with Jawbone Icon

Hi,

I can confirm that the Jawbone Icon headsets work with facetime.

I was surprised to see the bluetooth icon replace the mute button on the bottom left side of the screen during a call When I pressed it, it gave me a selection of sources, which included the headset.

10. chadam macrumors member

chadam

How? My Icon still does not work with my iP4 for a FT call...currently running ios 4.2.1 jailbroken.

11. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

Bluetooth is such an old crappy technology. Apple needs to scrap it for something new.

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Like...?

13. chadam macrumors member

chadam

Very frustrating that FT does not work with BT.

14. chadam macrumors member

chadam

Has anyone had luck making a Facetime call over Bluetooth with their Jawbone icon on similar?