FaceTime Exchanging

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ELBdelorean, Sep 12, 2010.

1. ELBdelorean macrumors member

Shouldn't there be a big thread on exchanging FaceTime IDs? Whatever, if anyone wants to FaceTime with me, feel free to add ELBdelorean@gmail.com

2. applealex macrumors regular

I'm sure that because of privacy concerns, many people wouldn't just openly hand over their FaceTime details

Has Apple instituted a way to block people from requesting a FaceTime call with you? like say you add a person who's spammer or pedophile or something of the sort. not saying you are but that thought brings up and interesting question

3. RyanNoah macrumors newbie

Just facetime'd ya. Works great. Thanks for letting me try it out. :apple:

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

I personally wouldn't want to facetime with anyone I don't know. I don't mind doing a vid chat with my wife and on occasion some friends and family but that is all... not sure why you would.

5. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

I'm going to give you a ring.

Edit: No answer from OP.

6. ELBdelorean thread starter macrumors member

It's just fun to do sometimes, I actually just got a call from someone and it's not as bad as it would seem. Anyway, I posted this here because it seems as if the majority of this community is mature, so I'm not worried.

EDIT: Not taking anymore FaceTime calls for the night guys, sorry to whoever just called me.

7. Bitcrusher macrumors member

8. RyanNoah macrumors newbie

All the OP did was list his e-mail, thats all you need to make a Facetime call. You need to just put the e-mail into your contacts, and that is it.

9. ELBdelorean thread starter macrumors member

No problem :)
    OH GAWD, NO!

10. freeme007 macrumors regular

11. battlekid macrumors regular

12. freeme007 macrumors regular

13. ELBdelorean thread starter macrumors member

Just FaceTimed with you. Worked pretty awesomely.

14. krefi macrumors newbie

When I can get Facetime with my wife while she's on her iMac or my MacBook, the usefullness of this app will really skyrocket. If it's limited to calling strangers on the macrumors forum, eeek :p. Lord knows my parents won't be getting an iPhone any time soon...

15. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

By posting your email address on a public forum you've just opened yourself up to a web full of spam bots

16. RyanNoah macrumors newbie

That was me, hope my big mug didn't freak you out. :D

I just wanted to try FT outside with the mic facing the wind.

17. ELBdelorean thread starter macrumors member

I just wanted to say, if anyone tried to FaceTime with me and I didn't pick up, sorry. I might as well say when I'll keep my FaceTime enabled.

Weekdays (M-F)- 4:30-10:30-ish
    Weekends- Pretty much all the time, save for when I'm not connected to Wi-Fi

18. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Why would you add random people? Kinda creppy. I would much rather talk to my friends thank you.

19. ELBdelorean thread starter macrumors member

It really annoys me when people come to this thread to express how much they don't want to do this. I believe that is referred to as "trolling." ;)

20. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Well i clicked on the thread thinking you had a question or something :p

21. ELBdelorean thread starter macrumors member

It's cool. You have your Skype on your profile, anyway.

22. freeme007 macrumors regular

23. macwheels macrumors regular

Hi there ELBdelorean -- thanks a lot for posting your FaceTime contact info. I got my new iPod Touch on September 10, but have not had an opportunity to try out FaceTime yet. so I'm glad to know I can test it out with you -- my problem is that I've now got a *very* wicked case of laryngitis & can't talk at all! :-(

So I do have a question about the front-facing camera (the one that's recording my face as I look at the screen), which I'm going to try to ask in writing.

When I launch the front-facing camera & see my own face, my eyes naturally go to / look at the image on the screen of my own eyes-- as if I'm making eye contact with someone in conversation. However, it appears that when I do this, my gaze is not looking into my own eyes; instead, it seems as if I am continually looking down, since the camera lens is actually above where I am looking on the screen. Same thing happens in inverse when I flip the iPod 180 degrees -- now it looks as if I am looking upwards... And in landscape position, I look as if I'm looking off to the left or the right (depending on whether the camera lens is positioned on the right or left side).

Since I have not yet had a FaceTime conversation, I don't know whether or not this also happens during a call -- but I would find it very annoying to be talking with someone who never really looks at me (and would not want myself to appear this way to my FaceTime buddies). So I'm sort of disappointed with the FaceTime implementation -- unless there's a good way around this problem. I've seen recommendations that the iPod has to be held at a minimum distance away from the face in order to make a nice-looking head-shot-- like the ones we see on apple.com -- but I admit that my arm gets tired after holding the iPod almost at arm's length for more than a few minutes.

Can you describe what to do about this? or do you not experience this problem at all? Thanks again for your help!

Macwheels

24. ELBdelorean thread starter macrumors member

Well, actually, it's not really that noticeable. If you think about it, the person on the other end is going to try to look at your eyes, and you look into theirs. Really, neither of you are looking into the lens anyway. I can FaceTime with you if you want and you don't have to talk.

25. macwheels macrumors regular

Wow, thanks! :)
    I may try calling you in the next couple of days... right now am feeling less than presentable. ;-)

Macwheels