Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
I have no signal from at&t at home so i use a 3g microcell. when i tried to facetime with my wife's iphone 4, we get constant and immediate "facetime failed" errors.

anybody else had this issue? i thought i read that you must register the iphone on itunes before facetime works. is that right? i choose to "never register" on itunes, is there any way to re-do that?

thanks

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I have no signal from at&t at home so i use a 3g microcell. when i tried to facetime with my wife's iphone 4, we get constant and immediate "facetime failed" errors.

anybody else had this issue? i thought i read that you must register the iphone on itunes before facetime works. is that right? i choose to "never register" on itunes, is there any way to re-do that?

thanks

Well, are your iPhones on wifi? FaceTime only works on wifi.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Worked for my wife and I on the same wifi router. Might depend on your firewall settings though. But, do make sure Facetime is enabled on both phones. I believe it's in the Phone settings. My wife's defaulted to OFF for some reason. Once we fixed that, worked great!

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
i'm not sure if the microcell is the error. but i guess not after hearing some of responses. i don't know what is the problem then. we have facetime turned on for both phones. i make a call to my wife's phone, then press the facetime button, then immediately i get the 'facetime failed' and the call goes back to voice call.

woosah

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2007
FL
He gets no AT&T signal. What if he wants to make phone calls?

But his problem is with FaceTime, which has nothing to do with an AT&T signal or placing calls. That's like saying, I have natural gas, but my TV won't turn on.

maximus96

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
thank you for that link. we did port our numbers over from tmobile. i think that is the problem. i'll try to restore and set up as new phone fix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.