FaceTime false advertisement, sort of ;)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psherman42walla, Dec 14, 2010.

1. psherman42walla macrumors member

Not to offend iPhone fans out there... =) But does anyone notice that the facetime commercials on tv are really clear and quick. FaceTime looks 10 times better in those ads then it actually does on our iphones. Not sure if it's just me but FaceTime is kind of grainy and a bit delayed, reminds me of old school yahoo messenger video chat. The back camera is more in pixels than the front, but is it any clearer on FaceTime? Does it adjust clarity depending on the speed of the users wifi connection...?

It's just that, everytime those commercials come on, I wish FaceTime actually looks that clear. Maybe it's the high definition on the TV that is causing a false sense of clarity. (;

2. isaac65 macrumors member

My FaceTime can look like that in the right conditions. Remember, the subjects in the commercials are well lit and, although they probably used "simulated" video, they are showing ideal conditions. In other words, the quality will depend on the lighting and signal strength. I'm getting about 11Mbps on wifi at home and when the blinds are all open on a nice sunny day, FaceTime looks damn near close to what they show on the commercials. I'm very happy with the quality. Go :apple:

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The download and upload speed on both parties is what makes the difference.
    If ones connection is slow the experience won't be the same like in the commercial.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm certain Apple films those commercials where both parties have the optimal connection on the fastest wifi-n network they can get.

I've done facetime with friends in places that have great connections (because I set them up :p) and it really does look that good. I haven't seen any delay whatsoever.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I guess you expect the whopper and bigmac to look exactly as they do in the commercials. ;)

6. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I've had some really amazing FaceTime sessions where the picture was perfect and the conversation was a near to full duplex as you could imagine. And I've also had some sessions that were choppy and delayed. As others have mentioned, it's all about the wifi signal strength, the speed of your upstream and downstream and the lighting.

7. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

Now thats funny!!!!

8. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

Yep its all about have good connections at both ends. And good lighting.

When all is tiptop the picture can really surprise you. And the Audio is 10x better than that of a regular phone call over speakerphone.