Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmh0523

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Hey guys! I used faceTime for the first time (ha) and everytime i'd try to flip my bud said it'd freeze and he'd only see my face until i flipped it back to the front facing camera.... i called him 3 times and we both had a good signal.. For him when he tried to flip it would work but it would freeze his little window so he couldn't see what he was recording (however I could see it)... When I flipped tho I could see everything he just saw my frozen face tho >< anyone having a problem when flipping and know of a resolution??

TY

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
Is your rear camera working? Try rebooting your iPhone.

One of my iPhones was stuck when trying to access the rear camera - the on-screen shutter wouldn't open. Rebooting it fixed the issue.

jmh0523

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Thanks bud ill try that, I should have tried it but I was able to see my rear camera in the window >< will reply back in a min

executiveeditor

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
I've got the same problem—when my wife flips her camera, I see a still of her; when I flip my camera, I see a still of me. But she sees what's on the back side of my phone, and she sees what's on the back side of her phone.

Storrow

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
I had this problem also. I think it was due to a bad or weak connection though.

OsideRida06

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
I had the same problem. Instead of calling them and then hitting FaceTime, go to the person in your contacts and hit video chat or FaceTime or what ever it is that it says. Then it should not freeze anymore. I think it has something to do with being in wifi from the get go? And not having to switch from 3G to wifi? Really I have no idea why but it has NEVER freezer on my yet doing it this way, and it would freeze on the flip every time the other way.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
I had the same problem. Rebooting the phone fixed it. Really I find I nee to reboot the iPhone 4 a little more often than I did with the 3GS, could just be ios 4. It's a slight annoyance. No biggie.

One thing I recommend is shutting it off every time you charge it. The phone will automatically power back on. Just a simple way to remind yourself to reboot every day. Just like you should with any computer.

lci3341

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2007
Had the same problem. Solution is to go into settings and turn OFF facetime... Then turn it back ON.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I've heard about others having this issue, but have not experienced it yet myself. I've had multiple FaceTime conversations with people so far and not had that happen.
I'm wondering whether this has anything to do with how many apps are open, etc. Just trying to figure out whether there is a common thread in causing this issue.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
When you transmit from the back HD camera, it uses way more bandwidth, so you run into a network bottle neck... you're sending and receiving at the same time... and your friend is also. You have to have 2 perfect networks to do this without hiccups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.